Gibson Brands Forums

Stolen EJ160e John Lennon - BUMMER!

drathbun

I loaned my Epiphone EJ160e to my son to take to university with him and have just discovered that it has been stolen from him. He let a friend play it in a rehearsal hall and, said friend, forgot about it and left it in the unsecured public room overnight. It was gone when he checked the next morning. Duh!

I'm not totally stressed about it as I was actually going to give it to my son to replace his cheapo Yamaha acoustic. He actually told me about the theft when I was telling him he could keep the guitar!

His friend is mortified of course and I told my son he should ensure his friend takes responsibility for it. I believe that is what is going to happen. However, my dilemma is, how do we assess the damage? Here is the history of this guitar:

I bought it damaged on eBay for around $200 all in (shipping, taxes etc.). It had been damaged in shipping and obviously from the Musicians Friend outlet in Kansas City. I bought it as a repair project for my guitar course a couple years ago.

Here is what it looked like before I repaired it:

524lennon17.jpg

I spent a week repairing it under the direct supervision of a master luthier. See the photoessay here: (the images are interspersed with the neck reset of my Yamaha FG150 Red Label):

EJ160e Repair

Here is what it looked like after the repair:

DSCF1493copy.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

I spent a further $150 on installing a LRBaggs Element pickup and another $30 putting the proper volume and tone knobs on it. So, in all, I spent about $380 on this guitar, not including the $2500 I spent on the course.

A new EJ160e runs $500 in the stores. Scratch and dents are around $390 at AMS and MF.

What does my son ask of his friend? Ideas?

$700' date='000, as it represents YOU and YOUR expertise, love and passion. (but I'd settle for $500)[/quote']

No no no! You've got it wrong. $700,000 was what I was planning as a reserve bid when I put it up for sale on eBay as an extremely rare musical instrument inspired by the genius of John Lennon. It was the only guitar in the world of that model that was cracked in quite that way. I could have been dropped by Lennon himself!

:-k

No no no! You've got it wrong. $700' date='000 was what I was planning as a reserve bid when I put it up for sale on eBay as an extremely rare musical instrument inspired by the genius of John Lennon. It was the only guitar in the world of that model that was cracked in quite that way. I could have been dropped by Lennon himself!

;)[/quote']

Yeah... I guess you're right! My BIL plays a 160e, it's a GREAT guitar...but not as loud, (much to his consternation), as the Dove!

Bob

Archived