Gibson Brands Forums

wiring vs pots

whoobla

So I need to know how to change this in my es 339. The volume controls taper very quickly. I 'd like to know if anyone can tell me is it the wring schematic or the pots. If so which pots 500 k audio. I would like th es to roll off like me les paul. Any feed back is good ,

thanks guys

Here's what I've gathered so far. The pot specs on the ES339 haven't been disclosed as far as I've seen. Compare it with current production GibsonUSA model, or maybe a Historic before they went back to vintage wiring, where the rule of thumb is to expect 300K linear taper volume pots and 500K audio taper tone pots. Goes against the rules, but linear taper pots in the volume controls actually work pretty smoothly if you're concerned about going from 6 to 9 or 10 where most of us play with it to clean up the gain. I just replaced my 300K linear tapers with 500K audio tapers on my '09 Traditional (because I wanted to try 500's and I'm happy I did because it marginally brightens up the tone, but all I had on hand were the audios). It turns out in my limited experience that the audio taper volume control, particularly when used with a 50's wiring where the tone cap is connected to the center lug of the volume pot, works very abruptly from 10 to 8-1/2, then gradually down to 5, then nothing at all seems to be apparent until you get to 1-1/2 when it cuts out entirely. It might be what audiophiles and hi-fi designers think that our ears want to see, but it certainly isn't smooth when you're using it as a guitar volume control. It might not bother you, it might depend on the guitar, or the amp settings since it seems to be less of an issue when it's turned up loud. I never noticed a problem in other twin-pickup guitars that I wired with audio taper pots all around. Just the same I'm not happy with audio taper volume controls on my Les Paul. SO my next step is the special taper offered by RS Guitarworks in their Superpots, which as marketed is neither linear, nor is it strictly speaking a regular log taper audio pot.

OK so now you compare that to the "Memphis tone" circuit in the ES339. Looking with a dental mirror in the f-hole it's apparent that the circuit adopts the 50's wiring scheme in terms of where the tone cap is connected. The ad copy confirms this, saying that the tone control comes "after the voltage divider" and is meant to stay brighter as you roll back the volume knob.

So the question is, what's the taper on the E339 volume controls? Gibson only says that it's a "special" taper, so if anyone has gotten one out of there and put it through its paces on a VOM then please, do tell.

It is kind of abrupt at about 8-1/2 so maybe it's an audio taper but that's a guess. If you want it to behave better, and if you can confirm that the volume pot is audio taper, I'd suggest either a linear taper pot like they use in the Les Pauls or an RS Superpot (which I can't vouch for yet, but I am curious to have a set on order intended for both the Les Paul and the ES339). Incidentally you'd need "short shaft" pots not the long-bushing ones. It's up to you to go with 300K (CTS) or 500k (RS Superpot); I'd recommend measuring the originals and staying with it unless you intend to change the sound. Both pickups on my ES339 are plenty bright so I have no reason to wake them up any. Try to get closed-shell pots if you can, the newer CTS with a doughnut back are flimsier. Also look for a retainer ring just below the knurled part of the shaft - it will keep you from blowing out the back of the pot when you put the knobs back on and that's important since you can't really support the back of the pot on a semihollowbody.

So I suspect the mephis wiring. I just put in a audio taper 500k gibson pots(volume) on my les paul 01 standard, with 57 classics and it's great. The cts are nice and rs is a great store too. The Gibson pots were local and I needed to fix soon. So I went with them. Thanks for the help

Interesting. I just did 50's wiring with audio taper volume pots on my '09 LP Traditional and with the audio taper pots its really, really abrupt - worse than the 339. The stock linear taper volume pots on it worked much more smoothly in the range I'm used to (6 to 10). I'm going with either RS Superpot or 500K linear for the volume control.

If you replace the volume pots on the 339, please measure them and let us know if they seem to be audio or linear and whether they're 300K or 500K. I just checked the pots that I pulled out of a CS336 and they were 300K linear for volume and 500K audio for tone. Same arrangement on an Epiphone Sheraton II and an Epiphone Dot.

Yes the 50's wiring on the tone controls does make things a little notchy but audio taper volume pots are even worse.

Archived