Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Custom Painting

GeordiLaforge

so I have been thinking about doing a little custom painting to one of my guitars for a while, nothing too extreme, I really only want to add the stripe like on the john mayer custom strat and I didn't know what that would require. I don't know if I need to completely sand my guitar or if I can just paint over what I have now. I really don't want to ruin my guitar cause its beautiful as it is, I just need to make it a little more personal.

so I have been thinking about doing a little custom painting to one of my guitars for a while' date=' nothing too extreme, I really only want to add the stripe like on the john mayer custom strat and I didn't know what that would require. I don't know if I need to completely sand my guitar or if I can just paint over what I have now. I really don't want to ruin my guitar cause its beautiful as it is, I just need to make it a little more personal.[/quote']

Try tape first. You can order custom color tape online. Then cut it to your liking and see if you like it and if you want...paint it!

Archived