Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite strings for favorite genre's?

BlackHawk233

What are your Favorite Strings/Tunings for all your favorite Genres, etc.

Ill list by my guitars:

Les Paul- Ernie ball Regulars, E standard tuning, and setup for Classic Rock/ Thrash metal/ Clean sounds.

Washburn Lyon- Ernie ball Beefy's, Drop C tuning, setup for when I play Heavy Metal.

Epiphone Explorer- Unknown 10's (or 11's), Drop Db, This is what I use for my own music, Clean and Heavy Rhythm

Fender Electric Acoustic- 11's, E Standard, Setup for anything acoustic (and that occasional need for distorted acoustic)

My bro's Squire Telecaster- EB Regs, Could use fender bullets, Setup for clean.

And my behringer, well it has no strings on it.

This could be nice to see string preference to the genre(s) they like.

Axchually...

I'm using Elixir 9-42 on everything "electric." I may put on some 10-46 on one solidbody but...

Figure whether I'm doing blues, country, old rockin' stuff, even "classical," I'm using bare fingers. Very little string pressure. Heck, it's not an acoustic and you increase volume with a knob 'stedda your string attack. That's true of a full hollow, a semi and my favorite "board" guitar.

The style may change significantly, but the basic technique of creating the sound doesn't.

So... Except for the acoustics... and even the old 70s Ovation E-A Legend wears Elixirs and I fight myself not to push the 10-46 or whatever too hard. The 12-string wears just a regular light-gauge set and I can't remember what I have on the old nylon string 70s Ovation Country Artist.

I think the bare finger 'touch' gets messed up a little with different string tensions. I use a bit of a flatpick on the 12 and 6 acoustics, so it's a lesser concern; everything else...

m

Archived