Gibson Brands Forums

cs-356 quilted maple & korina

jamman

Hey guys, does anyone know about how many of these cs-356's were produced? I got one from "wildwood" in 8-2009

and was wanting to find out about how many were made. Also, I picked up a LP R0 ebony VOS last week and wanted to know about how many in this color were made . Any info or links would be great.

'09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. LPDC (trans blue)

‘08 Firebird IV (metallic red)

‘07 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)

‘07 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

Thanks in advance.

There have been relatively few special short runs of the 356s in custom configurations to my knowledge -- several in 2003 from Wildwood (pretty sure they had some mahogany/natural ones), Centre City (some natural finished, some custom colors) and from Music Machine (in their Stinger series, including my quilted 356 in Heritage Darkburst, some sunbursts in 'Custom Authentic' -- the precurser to VOS aging, and perhaps just a few one-offs in blue and 'Iguana' green). There may have been a few others in non-standard colors, but not many. At that time, many more dealers were allowed to advertise that they had them, marketing them nationwide via the internet. Those more liberal Dealer rules have since changed, which in my opinion severely limits a dealer's ability to sell a large run of anything unusual. That said, the rules also presumably help Gibson preserve "territorial integrity" for their local authorized dealerships -- unusual beauties are less likely to parachute in from Colorado, California, Wisconsin or Washington than was the case five years ago.

Since that time I'm only aware of Wildwood and Centre City doing a few short runs (maybe 12-20 guitars like this somewhat current batch) where perhaps 2/3 of the run had unusual specs: CC did some Koa 356s and naturals in about 2006-7 and this recent run of Wildwood's Korina/natural and Korina/Faded Maple Leaf burst. Wildwood are one of the very few independent dealers still allowed to depict individual guitars online, which (to me) gives them a fighting chance to get the word out on these special runs, and the incentive to order the run in the first place.

I hope that helps (and hope it's accurate) -- I've watched these fairly closely since '03. You should probably just check with Wildwood though -- as far as I know, they've done the only ones with Korina backs/necks, so the answer is likely less than 20 or so. And the 356s have always been somewhat rare compared to other Gibsons.

Archived