Gibson Brands Forums

New Firebird V Colors for 2008??? Administrator Please Answer.

bluezguy

I need a Firebird V NOW!! Can't find a used one in good condition for a reasonable price, so, I'm gonna go brand new. I went looking for the Vintage Sunburst which sells for about $1859.00 with hs case.

NOBODY has one in stock. Come to find out from GC , they're on backorder.

Tick me off some more now Gibson... I found a website, ZZSounds, that says they're taking orders for Firebird V's which are coming out in 2 new colors... a Cherry Red and a Desert Burst!

These two new colors are about $200.00 cheaper.

I called Gibson Customer Support to confirm this info and they could tell me nothing except that there is a part# issued for the Desert Burst... not even in production yet.

Does anybody know anything about these new colors and the lower price? Did the Firebird V take a hit in quality somewhere to lower this price or is it just the paint???

no i haven't my local guitar center has one firebird in artic white they would't let me play it a## holes. i did't know firebirds were that populer.

It's not that they're that popular... it's just that Gibson doesn't run that many because a Firebird (especially reverse) is a 'specialty' instrument; that is, they are not for everyone's taste. There's a Firebird VII behind glass at my GC and it's a 2008 - no big deal , but ya still gotta get the sales guy to get a key.

Most players don't like the 'birds'.

The less expensive, Studio version with it's full size humbuckers, does not fit the bill when it comes to genuine Firebird performance. You might as well be playing a more comfortable instrument like an SG or LP.

To sum it up is like a carpenter using a screw driver to hammer in nails. You need the right tool for the right job. Firebird lovers/players are performing a certain job and are using the best tool for completing that job.

It's funny, Bluezguy, but about a half year ago I kinda went on a Firebird spree and started tracking 'em for a couple of months on Ebay before going ahead and buying a couple, a '65 (or '68) non-reverse and a Gibson-liscensed MIJ reverse copy (which I mentioned in your other thread).

Now when I do searches, I do get the impression there are a lot fewer Firebirds out there, as though there's been a jump in demand and the supply is drying up. There are still a few originals, in varying states of collectibility/usability, but used re-issues aren't nearly as plentiful as just a few months ago. Maybe that'll change.

Firebirds, especially reverse Firebirds, are very "different" guitars. They are heavy, unbalanced, strangely proportioned as far as the neck-body-bridge relationship goes, and in general, everytime I lent my old Firebird to Les Paul or Strat players they'd hand it back shaking their heads "How the h*** can you play that thing?"

But if you love what they can do, or what they allow you to do, it's hard to find the same feeling in other guitars. Let's hope there's been a rash of first-time Firebird buyers recently, and after a some back-aches and left-hand spasms from dealing with that long neck and heavy headstock, there'll be a fresh crop up for sale. I hope you find the instrument you need fast.

Hey Oringo,

Thanks for all your help! I got a bid on one on eBay.... gotta have a Gibson... been playin' 'em for 41 years. It's hard to play anything else. I do have an Epiphone LP Custom. The only reason I got this instrument was because I need to carry it on a motorcycle to rehearsals and if it gets stolen... it's ok. Funny thing is, it feels and plays better than most real SG s I've played. I replaced the EPI pups with genuine Gibson P94's immediately on purchase. Awesome... just plain awesome...

Archived