Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups for ES-135

cottonwolf

I am thinking of trading a tele for an 1998 ES-135. There seems to be some confusion on the pickups that came stock on them. Blue book calls them 90's except on a certain model available from 99 to 2004. From other sources it appears some had P90's and some had humbuckers with P90 covers which were called P100's. Anybody know the scoop?

hi cottonwolf,

I have two ES-135's - a 1990 and a 1997. Both came stock with P-100's. I've never seen an ES-135 with actual P-90's.

In fact, I swapped both guitars p'ups for Gibson P-90s within a week or so of owning each guitar. They are both excellent guitars

for live and recording.

Oh, and I had two really nice Teles - a Fender American Vintage 52 Reissue (black nitro) and Fender American Vintage 62 Reissue (in black nitro) and sold them both within the past 6 months. For what I play, the Teles couldn't hold a candle to either 135 with P-90's.

I also had a real '64 Gretsh Double Anniversary with 60's Filtertrons. Ditto, sold that too.

Couldn't hold a candle to either Gibson as well. I thought I'd never sell that guitar.

To my ears, the P-90 equipped 135's have it all... a lot of sustain, HUGE sound, great feel, finish, etc.

and if you like **good feedback** there's that too. To me the P-90 is the best pickup I've ever heard.

I can deal with a little hum in exchange for a pickup that really **plays** with the amp.

Just sayin'

Hope this helps,

Henry Lee

Not heard one but I can imagine an ES-135 with P90's sounds fat spelled with a ph!

Absolutely.

They sound AMAZING through any older Fender Tube amp or even my lil' GA-5.

I play mine through a Silverface Bassman w/ 2x12 cab and they're just mean and raw' date='

or back off the volume and they are sweet, warm and clean.

Here's my 1990 ES-135. When I swapped P-100's for P-90's I opted for Dogears to get the

old school ES-225 / ES-125TDC vibe. Darn amazing guitar this one is...

Henry

[img']http://www.ifever.net/geetars/es-135.jpg[/img]

<br>

es-135_2.jpg

Wow, thanks guys. I do love me a tele for country, but I rarely play country anymore. I think I will make the trade, can always pick up another tele somewhere if I miss it.

Henry Lee - I have always heard of people playing 6 strings thru a bassman. My past experience playing 6 string thru bass amps like ampeg has not been good. What is the deal why so many people use a bassman amp? Were they not designed for bass?

"Here's to you ole skinny Dennis

I can hear your bassman singing

sweet and low like a gift your bringing

keep on keep on playin"

Ha - great quote!

Yeah, I hear you with the Tele / country connection. That's undeniable. But the bridge P-90 / 135 can get you in the ballpark with some hot / bright twang. I had the same concerns before selling my Tele, I simply play the ES's more.

I'm sure someone can spell out the details better than I can, but the Bassman thing goes back to the 50's when the first ones came out and guitar players found them to be really good amps for guitar. It's just a classic, huge clean tone that has some nice break up. I wish I had a Blackface one, but the Silverface is perfectly fine for the clubs I play.

Also... I forgot to mention this earlier. Not all 135's are identical. Believe it or not my 1990 (pictured above) has a really "hollow body" sound and you can hear and feel the top and back moving a lot. Especially at loud volumes. But even unplugged, it has a totally different tone / timbre than my 1997. It's richer, darker, more complex. I did some poking around and found that the centerblock on the 1990 does not touch the back of the guitar hardly at all, which makes it sound and behave more like a hollow body. I'm guessing the top moves more freely on it as well.

Whereas the centerblock on the 1997 model DOES touch down more on the back (and presumably more so on the top too). So it has a denser, slightly more solid tone. It is an absolute monster when plugged into the amp... more sustain and superb, tight feedback. No howling / wooofy weirdness whatsoever.

Besides that, the 1990's guitars are remarkably consistent.

Hopefully you can play yours before laying down the cash, even compare a couple.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Post some pics if you go for it!

Henry Lee

I use a Bassman '59 RI Ltd ed (with valve rectifier) and a tubescreamer type pedal to get the classic rock sounds of the 70's. Its an awesome tone.

I once heard a tele played through one in a music shop. It sounded so sweet/spanky/full of tone that it inspired me to seek one out many years later!

It sounds great with any guitar. No worries about FX loops, just plug eveything into the front end and enjoy life!

My mate described me as the rarest of beasts; a guitarist that's happy with his tone!

BTW, harp players love Bassmans too!

Archived