Gibson Brands Forums

Perplexed by Pickguard Imperfections

tw2_usa

Found a beautiful new Hummingbird and lo and behold, one of the tips of the pickguard is raised a sixteenth of an inch or so. I've read other complaints on this forum about pickguard lifting. Is it safe to just "live with it"? What are the dangers, if any? Thanks.

Found a beautiful new Hummingbird and lo and behold' date=' one of the tips of the pickguard is raised a sixteenth of an inch or so. I've read other complaints on this forum about pickguard lifting. Is it safe to just "live with it"? What are the dangers, if any? Thanks.[/quote']

I had the same problem with a Martin guitar. It lifted just ever so slightly at the pointy end, which happened to coincide with "where my strumming fingers end up".

It was not a major nuisance, but just to be sure, I had the Martin-authorized repairer reglue it with just the tiniest little dab of glue, to cinch it down.

The Gibson H-bird pickguard is a bigger affair, and thicker too, but can be treated in the same way. Suggest you have it checked out by an experienced luthier (i.e., not the local GC "Guitar Dewd").

Fred

one of the tips of the pickguard is raised

My SWD has the same issue, I just push it down every now and again but I suppose one day the glue will dry out and it won't stick any more.

Do the new Hummingbirds have the same kind of soft 'rubbery' pick guard as the SWD? Don't know what to call it really, but if you push your nail into it, it leaves a dent then fills back out.

Archived