Gibson Brands Forums

Does This J-45 Exist?

telefone

There are many (well, a number of all hog J45s out there.)

At this VERY MOMENT (and I am not making this up) there is a '46 all hog J45-- with a rectangle bridge- hanging on the big wall of an area music store. Has a great sound- classic J-45.

There are many (well' date=' a number of all hog J45s out there.)

At this VERY MOMENT (and I am not making this up) there is a '46 all hog J45-- with a rectangle bridge- hanging on the big wall of an area music store. Has a great sound- classic J-45.[/quote']

how much are they asking for it? there's one at mandolin world hq for 5750.00. has a belly bridge though.

The sticker is $4500.

It was originally owned by John Schwab (I believe) excellent guitarist with the Hoover Uprights back east. (at least I'm pretty certain of that.) He sold it to someone I know out here. I was offered the guitar about three years ago for $3000 from that person and was going to buy it.

Our messages got mixed up- there was a vacation thrown in at some point. The guitar ended up going on consignment at an area music store. The owner acknowledged the mix-up and offered to take it off consignment and sell it to me-but we were too late. A Store employee had snatched it up.

And now it's back on the wall. And you know the whole story.

Naturally, I did what I always do when I hear a good guitar. Rush home and play my own '46 J45. And the GAS just leaks out of the room.....[crying]

I don't think the original poster meant "all" hog.

You're absolutely right. Jannusguy, you're also right...my original post was very vague, which was my mistake. The replies so far have been encouraging, though...seems to be a lot of knowledge floating around.

I'm hoping that there is a spruce/mahogany J-45 out there with the appointments that I like that won't cost me an arm and a leg. The Woody Guthrie SJ is close, but I hate the fretboard inlays.

http://www.fullersguitar.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=731&category_id=132

Fullers Vintage Guitar has a model that is dangerously close to what I want (actually, exactly what I want), but I don't think I'll be able to find one used and I don't like to buy new.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

You're absolutely right. Jannusguy' date=' you're also right...my original post was very vague, which was my mistake. The replies so far have been encouraging, though...seems to be a lot of knowledge floating around.

I'm hoping that there is a spruce/mahogany J-45 out there with the appointments that I like that won't cost me an arm and a leg. The Woody Guthrie SJ is close, but I hate the fretboard inlays.

http://www.fullersguitar.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=731&category_id=132

Fullers Vintage Guitar has a model that is dangerously close to what I want (actually, exactly what I want), but I don't think I'll be able to find one used and I don't like to buy new.

Thanks for all the responses so far.[/quote']

It's funny looking at that guitar at Fullers- look at the picture of the nut. It looks to me like they have the 6th string too far inboard, impossible for thumb wrappers like me to get a clean F chord. I have had 2 Gibsons come to me like that. Sold one, had a new nut put on the other. Both had oddball string spacing like they must have had a new guy making the nuts for them.

Archived