Gibson Brands Forums

What year is my Les Paul custom?

Mushalove

if you need more info on it..

Under the serial number "113424" it says "Made in USA" They're stamped into the wood.

In 1984 it was repaired by Gibson saying it was "Ebony" but no year on the guitar

I did some research and I found that the serial code on it could be either year 1963 or 1967 according to the Gibson site.. But, it also says that Made in USA wasn't put on the back until 1970?

So I have no idea.. I found someone online who asked about one with the serial number 113499, but no answers to it either.

Thanks!

If I posted some pictures do you think I could get more info on it? I'm just confused at how you get the dates, 'cause I can't find anything anywhere online, lol.

Don't worry, I don't doubt you in your year choice, I just want to give my dad all the info about it so he can finally feel okay with actually giving it to me. [cool]

Thanks again![smile]

Gibson used the 100XXX serial numbers in 63, 67,70,71,72,73, 74, and early 75. The 60's/70's six-digit serial numbers are a mess.

Yes, photos would help, but the information that will tell the most accurate tale will be the potentiometer codes. Open up the control cover on the back and look for the seven-digit code numbers on the back of the pots. Hopefully they are not all covered with solder. The format of the code is MMMYYWW (M=manufacturer, Y=year, W=week). This will tell you when the pots were made and will help provide a reasonable estimate on when the guitar was made.

Gibson used the 100XXX serial numbers in 63' date=' 67,70,71,72,73, 74, and early 75. The 60's/70's six-digit serial numbers are a mess.

Yes, photos would help, but the information that will tell the most accurate tale will be the potentiometer codes. Open up the control cover on the back and look for the seven-digit code numbers on the back of the pots. Hopefully they are not all covered with solder. The format of the code is MMMYYWW (M=manufacturer, Y=year, W=week). This will tell you when the pots were made and will help provide a reasonable estimate on when the guitar was made. [/quote']

Larry,

The guitar in question has a "Made in U.S.A." stamp on it which would rule out 63 and 67. If I remember correctly the 100XXX series started in 1970. Seeing as his serial number is 113424 a date of 73-74 would seem about right. Pot codes only reflect the date of manufacture for the pots, not the guitar. Gibson really got smart in 1977 when they started their present "year-month-day-instrument number" system. Sort of takes the fun out of guessing when a Gibson was made, doesn't it? Loses a bit of the charm.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

My dad bought a Les Paul Custom when he was about 16 or 17. His Uncle then bought it from him and kept it in the case in his house (never played it or even took it out of the case) for years and years. He gave it back to my dad a few years ago, and I just bought it from my dad.

I'm just trying to educate myself about the guitar. The serial number is 128479 (the last number might be a 0 instead of a 9 - I don't have the guitar with me at the moment and I can't remember).

Dad says he thinks it is a 1971 "black beauty" also nicknamed the "fretless wonder". Everything is original on the guitar - including the very low frets, hence "fretless wonder" that people actually didn't like about that model. The guitar is in excellent condition. The case is original and in excellent condition as well (red velvet lined). Any information anyone can give me on this guitar would be greatly appreciated. I will most likely pay the $50 bucks to Gruhn Guitars at some point to have it officially appraised so that I can have it insured accurately. Thanks!

Also, the words "Made in USA" are imprinted on the back of the headstock underneath where the serial number is imprinted.

Archived