Gibson Brands Forums

Played 3 old beauties this past Sat. Cali central coast

markob

Took a little road trip down the coast Saturday to look at an amp. This shop always has some nice stuff and I try take the 3 hr drive about once a year to see the goods. He had 5 old Gibsons on the wall. Two were early 1900's oval sound hole types don't remember the models. I did play a gorgeous '39 J35. WOW. Just had a re-fret and had a black replacement guard. No splits or repairs. Maybe the nicest playing guitar I've ever held.

#2 was a one owner '30 L10. Clean as new. Shiney black and sexy as can be. A little odd playing because I've never really got used to archtops. #3 was an interesting one. An early 60's FJ-N. Very clean. The double white p-guard was replaced w/ a double clear. Other than that all original. Not alot of wear at all. Looked to be hardly played. Sounded great but the 2" width at the nut and 12 frets to the body were a bit of a trip. Big square-shouldered beast. Read about it when I got home in the "fab/flat-top". Interesting stuff. I may be back there soon to pick up an amp...(like I need another). I know the prices or at least roughly (what he'd consider) if anyone would like to know. No affiliation at all with the shop.

mob

Archived