Gibson Brands Forums

'63 335 Reissue serial number HELP!

rohan

Now stop me if you've heard this one . . .

I have just put a deposit down on a Custom Shop 335. Faded Cherry.

And now I'm jittery. Here's why -

I'm buying from a very respected dealer. I'm told it is a '63 reissue. It is used, which would explain the ripping price - 3 grand US. It is in lovely condition - plays great, sounds great.

But the serial number worries me. In every serial number directory I can find, it says that Custom Shop reissue serial numbers have letters in them to distinguish between models. I always thought most custom shop guitars had a 'CS' stamped on the headstock. But this guitar has a 'normal' looking Gibson serial number - 03419XXX. At least I know it is an '09.

More puzzling is the model number inside the f-hole. It reads - ESDY335.

Huh? What does 'DY' mean?

I don't want to be worried about this one. It feels right, but . .

They assure me it is a '63 reissue. A guy returned it recently. It still has the protective coating on the scratchplate. The truss rod cover was missing, but I'm assured it will be there when I come to pick it up.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Rohan

Historic reissues don't have "CS" serial numbers but I think you should contact Gibson directly to ask them because I don't think you have a '63RI. Based on the serial number, it looks like a regular Memphis block. I have a 2007 Memphis block and the serial number is the same format as yours...not historic.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Historic ES MODELS (since 1995):

(A or :-#-MYRRR

M is the model year being reissued

Y is the production year

RRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of Historic ES production for that year.

Reissue model codes:

2= ES-295

3= 1963 ES-335 (block inlays)

4= ES-330

5= ES-345

9 with an "A" prefix = 1959 ES-335 (dot inlays)

9 with a "B" prefix= ES-355

Example: A-38005 is the 5th '63 ES-335 Reissue produced in 1998.

Carved Top models (serial number on orange label)

YDDDYRRR

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

RRR indicate the guitar's place in the sequence of carved tops made that day.

NOTE - as of 2000, 1st digit will be a "2"

Examples:

91418009 is the 9th carved top produced on the 141st day of 1998.

20045002 was the 2nd carved top stamped on the 4th day of 2005.

By the way R9, I just saw your post on lespaulforum re: this issue. Words of great wisdom.

I'm still sold on this axe. I guess I thought I was getting an AMAZING bargain instead of a decent deal.

Cheers,

Rohan

www.myspace.com/thebellowsband

No problem. I love mine, too, great guitar.

Personally, I'd be a tad upset if they sold me a guitar claiming it's a reissue when it's not. I realize that guitar prices are more expensive down under but what does a 335 block typically sell for - Memphis and Nashville (historic)? My Memphis block cost me $2,500 US, new in 2007. A new '63RI lists in the US for over $4,500.

Well what I didn't say was that I am in the US at the moment, California to be exact.

So by the time the sales tax gets added, I'm gonna get out of it for just under 3K Still, I am getting the strap and cloth thrown in!

I tell you though, mate, these things sell in Aus for 6K+. No guff.

Look I don't suppose you can de-mystify the 'DY' in the model number? The ESDY335?

I was on hold to Gibson customer service for 20 minutes before thinking, "Bugger this."

Cheers,

Rohan

• 1 year later...
Guest jkjkgol

So by the time the sales tax gets added, I'm gonna get out of it for just under 3K Still, I am getting the strap and cloth thrown in!

I tell you though, mate, these things sell in Aus for 6K+. No guff.

Archived