Gibson Brands Forums

Machine head Help

Stumbeleine01

Hi,

Im looking to replace my machine heads on a 1996 Gibson SG standard i bought off a friend recently. I told him yesterday after a gig we played they were a little loose and slipping. I took the strings off today and a few of them seem to need replacing. Im sure this is prob the case seeing as it's an old boy now.

Ive removed the E machine head, easy enough. I'm wondering if anyone could offer me any buying advice or links to places i can order a new set? They seem easy to replace, i won't need any expert help? I've had a look over ebay and i'm worried i'll end up buying ones i need to drill into place or modify my guitar to add, i just want to straight replace them.

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help!

I brand new gibson grovers are only like 40 bucks. You can just stay home and shop for new one's and have them mailed to-ya. I'd go top guitarcenter.com/amazon or something like that or just make sure your nuts not hang-in up and try and string lock-em by winding them up on the tuners and don't wrap-em more than 3 times. Oh yea by the way just because its a 90's model, dosen't mean they need to be replaced, that's really not that old, they should be still good, a-lot of players unnecessarily replace them. Try a couple of things first, to make sure

Cheers for the message! I'm based in the UK. I've had a look around and found some 'Wilkinson Kluson Style Vintage Machineheads' which look from the image, what i am looking for. i'm unsure which makes are better quality. I def think a few of the machinheads need replacing, the E is very shaky and feels loose when you are tuning up. =D>

Archived