Gibson Brands Forums

Playing in a band

Bluemoon

The first band i ever played in was practically a nightmare. I felt like i was the only experienced player in it except for the other guitar player. Bass players and drummers are so rare in this town that our friends offered to learn instruments to play in the band with us. And what's worse is none of us could sing. I will say i've learned my lesson about trying the whole band thing without an idea of where to go. Of course we were young, and we want to do different things now. But when it comes down to the core, a guitar player "is" a guitar player. I agree that it doesn't matter if you play in your closet or the biggest stadium in the world. The sad thing i see is that most guitar players use Youtube as their way to show people their talents. But the problem with that is the record labels. Videos are pulled left and right because of copyright. Sure, copyright is a good thing, but it's getting stupid. But, im sure we don't want to go down that road of discussion.

I don't think musicians should be labeled "better than." People say "Oh Jimmy Page is the best!" Or "Jimi Hendrix is god, no one can compare to him!!" While i agree they are legendary people in the history of rock n roll, there is no better than. Now there are musicians with "more experience" than others. That doesn't make anyone better. I always thought being a musician was like being in a brotherhood. You feel like part of a family. But when the family starts comparing and contrasting, it falls apart.

Different people are going to play the guitar(or any other instrument) different ways. I have never played a gig. Im only 18, but i've never gotten the opportunity. Im sure i will in the future. But until then i can only have patience. For those who never get the chance, but still put their heart into doing what they love, playing a guitar, bass, drums or any instrument in the world, I salute you.

Im sorry this was so long. But bands are hard to maintain. I tried to be the leader in my old band when i was about 15. But as things went along, i figured out i couldn't do it alone. I think a band has to bond like a family to survive.

My 2 cents guys. Thanks for reading

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rockman82

Yeah, I think you had some good points there.

The "family" thing to a band, yeah too - although sometimes even "family" doesn't get along very well. I'm reminded of the Everly Brothers, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey... as some long-ago brothers who didn't.

Lotza bands get going, play musical chairs, bring hard feelings, change styles and concepts...

There's a really different feeling to doing a solo and a multiple person gig. I think were I to start to do lots more one-two person things again, I'd start finding joke books or something too. I think today's audience wants "entertainment" as much as music, regardless of style or virtuosity.

Of course, at my age the face should function as kinda a joke, too. <grin>

m

Archived