Gibson Brands Forums

Information Needed on Vintage Gibson LG-3 "X9564 6" 1952?

ShowcaseCollectibles

Hello,

I found this forum via google search.

I am trying to find out any information on a Gibson Acoustic my brother-in-law wants me to sell for him.

I have the guitar up on an internet auction site and do not want to violate any forum policies by confusing my information seeking as a sales post.

Any information on the Acoustic would be GREATLY appreciated so that I can update my auction.

Inside it says LG-3 and is numbered "X9564 6"

Any idea as to value would also be helpful.

One user of the auction site said the guitar was a 1952 model and based on the price he paid for a 1951 a year ago ($1200) I could expect to fetch about double his price ($2400).

Thanks again for the post read and any useful information I can use for my auction!

Image #001 (String Anchors)

Image #002 (Interior Bracing)

Image #003 (Logo and Strings)

Image #004 (Alignment)

Image #005 (Back body)

Image #006 (Back Neck)

Image #007 (Neck Mounting #1)

Image #008 (Kluson Deluxe)

Image #009 (Front Body)

Image #010 (Front Neck)

Image #011 (Top Alignment)

Image #012 (Neck Mounting #2)

Image #013 (Strap Peg)

Image #014 (LG-3 Tag)

Image #015 (Serial #X9564 6)

KSDaddy is correct, "X" prefix is 1954. As for price, vintage/antique/old guitar prices are down like everything else in the American economy. If a similar year/model went for $1200 one year ago, you will be lucky to equal it. Prices on old guitars are down about 40% from three or four years ago when they topped out. Realistically a 1954 LG-3 is worth somewhere in the $700-$1000 range. Good Luck with your auction.

I think the X prefix meas 1954.

Dude' date=' "$5000 or best offer" is a little ambitious. I'm not up on the market of old LG's but you might look around and see what they're actually bringing.[/quote']

Thanks for the input and I will update the auction to reflect the date.

As stated in my listing I can always reduce the price, I cannot raise the price after it is sold.

Better safe than sorry.

:-$

KSDaddy is correct' date=' "X" prefix is 1954. As for price, vintage/antique/old guitar prices are down like everything else in the American economy. If a similar year/model went for $1200 one year ago, you will be lucky to equal it. Prices on old guitars are down about 40% from three or four years ago when they topped out. Realistically a 1954 LG-3 is worth somewhere in the $700-$1000 range. Good Luck with your auction.[/quote']

Thanks for the input. Will use the posts from this forum as a guide for when I relist the guitar.

:-$

If folks can find '54 LG-3's for $700-1000 I'll buy all they can find. The guitar is definitely in the $2,200 -$2,500 price range, depending on condition. Small body Gibson have not at all been subject to market depression...not in the least. Don't sell it for less...or sell it to me for $700!

If folks can find '54 LG-3's for $700-1000 I'll buy all they can find.

Here's the facts for which my statement was based. This is what a couple of recent e-bay auctions have yeilded.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-LG-3_W0QQitemZ320477599623QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9df41787

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-lg3-lg-3-1955-acoustic-guitar_W0QQitemZ220536792449QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3359046581

Here's one that did not sell at $1995. OK, I know it's a 3/4, I'm just trying to show my logic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-LG-3-4-3-4-size-1957-acoustic-guitar-w-c-b-case_W0QQitemZ160393126287QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item25582ce18f

If your willing to pay $2200-$2500 for these guitars you should really do you civic duty and help these sellers out. The value of any guitar is decided by "market value", and market value is how much they actually bring on the open market. E-bay is about as "open" a market as exists anywhere.

I've been saying just exactly that for years.

A co-worker has a bunch of stuff they want to sell on ebay, old estate type stuff. I told him today, don't go chatting with people or watching Antiques Roadshow or any of that ______. This was stuff found in your father in law's house after he died and you have Dollar Zero into it. If you get $50 or $100 out of ebay, that's $50 you didn't have yesterday.

Today I bought a couple junk 60s toy robots for $10. Some of the insane prices they've fetched on ebay make me itch in places I forgot I had. But I stuck them on ebay with an opening bid of ten bucks and whatever they get is pure raisin pie.

Archived