Gibson Brands Forums

Gotta Question.

Andre S

So in some videos of live bands, I saw some of them had earpieces in, what is the point of this?

I also read somewhere that they have a mixing tent set up off stage, does this have to do anything with it?

Whats the real point of mixing their sound live? Shouldn't live, be live and not mixed?

Ear piece's provide a way to give each performer there own monitor mix and all large live shows have sound mixing boards out where they can

adjust the sound as needed. How things sound on stage and out in the crowd is vastly different. Often individual musicians will get in a volume

battle and thus screw up the sound mix while playing........and then get in a fight out back the venue........

So modern live shows have a mix for everyone and the overall sound quality is better.

Earpieces are usually used by vocalists (think headphones-better more accurate reproduction of what they need to hear for cues/pitching etc.) and can cost thousands for custom moulded sets.

Usually the sound on stage (vox/keys/cues etc.) are all fedback and mixed via a foldback system (the desk off stage you mention) through wedges (those strange shaped black boxes at the front of the stage that musos use as a support during solo posturing and the like) and sidefills (the cabs on either side of the stage facing the band).

The FB mix is just as essential (maybe even more so) than the FOH mix. If it sounds like sh*t up there - it's gonna sound worse out front.

Earpieces are usually used by vocalists (think headphones-better more accurate reproduction of what they need to hear for cues/pitching etc.) and can cost thousands for custom moulded sets.

Usually the sound on stage (vox/keys/cues etc.) are all fedback and mixed via a foldback system (the desk off stage you mention) through wedges (those strange shaped black boxes at the front of the stage that musos use as a support during solo posturing and the like) and sidefills (the cabs on either side of the stage facing the band).

The FB mix is just as essential (maybe even more so) than the FOH mix. If it sounds like sh*t up there - it's gonna sound worse out front.

Sh!t thats confusing....

in terms of guitars

ok, so the guitars go to the amps, which go to the desk, to the monitors, to the PA?

Sh!t thats confusing....

in terms of guitars

ok' date=' so the guitars go to the amps, which go to the desk, to the monitors, to the PA?[/quote']

#-o Sorry. What were you confused about?

Just think of the earpieces as expensive headphones. :D

#-o Sorry. What were you confused about?

Just think of the earpieces as expensive headphones. :D

I'm not sure....but when you see these guy's setups on youtube vids, it looks nice and complicated...biliions of wires..hehe

I'm not sure....but when you see these guy's setups on youtube vids' date=' it looks nice and complicated...biliions of wires..hehe[/quote']

Each of those wires is more than likely a cable for a send from a mic. or instrument. Goes to a junction box-multi cored(all those wires wrapped in 1)-the desks basically.Each individual send/wire(micd or DI'd instrument/voice etc.)is then able to be sent wherever needed.

Bit better?...:D

Each of those wires is more than likely a cable for a send from a mic. or instrument. Goes to a junction box-multi cored(all those wires wrapped in 1)-the desks basically.Each individual send/wire(micd or DI'd instrument/voice etc.)is then able to be sent wherever needed.

Bit better?...:D

Yup.

As for me....

In some Bluegrass jam venues and in some sound system situations, I cannot hear my own instrument. Heck, I couldn't verify I was in the right key. It was either the room's acoustics or a sound system that wasn't working right Out of desperation, I came up with my own on board monitor. Battery operated, a suction cup pick-up and a run of the mill ear plug. I suspect some pros have the same problem and have an earpiece plumbed into their own amp or monitor.

Archived