Gibson Brands Forums

ES-335 Custom

satchfan

I have an ES-335 custom and have a question about it...

There's no serial stamped anywhere on it. From other pictures I've seem of custom shop guitars there's a serial # stamped on the headstock. This one has no marking on the headstock at all. The only serial number it has is the one on the custom shop sticker inside the f hole. This seems odd to me. Is there an explanation for this?

Thanks for the info

- Nick

This is typical of certain "Historic" series models. If the original instrument that is being recreated did not have a headstock stamped serial number, then the "Historic" series reissue will not have one. This is for historic accuracy. My Historic Series '59 ES-345 is the same way as yours. These are also the highest grade of reissues. I'll also guess your serial number on the sticker is probably an "A" number, which is also period correct to the original instrument.

Thanks for the replies!

I got at the St. Charles Guitar Exchange near St. Louis, MO. I think they are (well were, the owner died and the store closed) a reputable dealer.

The serial # doesn't have an "A" in it. It's just CS-0XXX. Is there any way to post pictures to this forum so that you can all see the guitar?

Thanks again.

- Nick

I got at the St. Charles Guitar Exchange near St. Louis' date=' MO. I think they are (well were, the owner died and the store closed) a reputable dealer.[/quote']

Yeah, I knew Dan Martin well, I didn't like him, but I knew him. His store at one time was one of the top retailers in the midwest. I really hadn't thought of him since his death, boy could I tell you some stories.

Oh, beautiful guitar.

With no stamped serial number on the headstock that probably makes it a '58 reissue. As for value it's "market rate", you need to do your own research on that question. As with "Antiques Road Show", somebody can tell you it's worth anything, but until someone writes you a check it's only pretty pictures.

Archived