Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson vs Hamer for Tuning Stability

coloradorock

I have a couple of LP studio premium Pluses (along with a PRS SC 245, a McCarty, an EG, and I've had more axes than I can remember). I want to get the magic of the LPs in a more tuning-stable package.

I want to get a used USA Hamer Studio or Artist, IF I can get some feedback about their tuning stability.

By "Tuning Stability," I'm refering to the fact that over my lifetime as a musician (30 years playing, and as a full time teacher, with a guitar in my hands about six hours a day at least five days a week), I have consistently noted that Gibsons are more unstable , more "high maintenance," with regard to staying in tune. Some days are good, and somedays, I just give up, put'em in their cases, and reach for a PRS.

I do bend strings a lot...ala David Gilmour, or Jeff beck, circa "Blow By Blow, or Jimmy page...to me, bending strings artfully is 50% of the fun of playing. And PRS, & Fender have always been much more reliable in terms of keeping in tune, in every way. ( I will admit that the more I log hours playing, the more I notice that subtle weather changes affect ALL instruments-even Basses, but Gibbys just seem to be more sensitive.).

I always hear raves about USA made Hamer Gibson-style designs. I love their 14.5 fretboard radius for bending. (BTW, the SC 245 is a fine axe, but it's got something like a 10" radius, so despite it's tiny scale, bending isn't as butery as you'd expect...boo!)

Hamers have ridiculously low resale value, despite believable claims to superior workmanship. Hell, they only have 12 guys at the USA factory!

DO ANY OF YOU KNOW, (BY REAL EXPERIENCE), IF HAMER SET NECK MODELS BEAT GIBSONS IN THE REALM OF KEEPING IN TUNE? TELL ME YOUR EXPERIENCE, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! Oh yeah, and do you think the Hamers have that earthy, warm, almost magic tone of a good Lester? Or are they a bit sterile, as some might describe an SC245?

• 1 month later...

I have played Explorers pretty much exclusively for 30 years, with no tuning problems that I can remember on any of them. I did own a Hamer Standard for a while and as you mentioned it did have a somewhat sterile sound to it. Very full and fat, but not as organic and "real" as I like and hear from my Gibsons.

Archived