Gibson Brands Forums

Solved fretbuzz

rockman82

Hey guys i got the fretbuzz out of the first few frets. I turned the truss rod counterclockwise, and i don't have fretbuzz, except on the low e string. All the other strings don't have fret buzz. Im not sure why only the low e string buzzes, it might be the nut on the guitar, or the fact that the strings are old. (i put the gibson strings back on because i can't buy a new set for a while.)

Hey guys i got the fretbuzz out of the first few frets. I turned the truss rod counterclockwise' date=' and i don't have fretbuzz, except on the low e string. All the other strings don't have fret buzz. Im not sure why only the low e string buzzes, it might be the nut on the guitar, or the fact that the strings are old. (i put the gibson strings back on because i can't buy a new set for a while.)[/quote']

Hi again,

The low E will buzz more as it's a larger string.

Do you know what level of relief you've now got? If it's now a lot you may still need a fret dress or even a nut adjustment. Otherwise, new strings and more time to settle may be all that is needed.

Alan

Im pretty sure my sg needs a fret dressing too. There are some frets that are dented' date=' and some are worn flat. I also figured new strings would help get rid of most of the left over buzz. It's not a lot of relief, but it's way more than i had.[/quote']

Think of it as a good sign that you've been getting your money's worth out of your guitar!

Adding relief will prolong the need for a fret dress; but if you've got too much relief the neck might start to feel a little spongy in the lower to middle registers. If you like a low action and a straight neck the fret dress may be the way to go.

Archived