Gibson Brands Forums

Recording with Cubase problems

fretplay

I resently bought a Lexicon Olphia with Cubase LE 4 software but the thing freezes all the time.

I was wondering if any members have had similar problems or an answer to solve?

I've been through several USB audio interfaces (Lexicon Alpha, a couple of diferent M-Audio units, Line6 TonePort UX-1, Native Instruments Guitar Rig Session I/O) and have not had much good luck using any of them for recording. I use Cakewalk Sonar rather than Cubase, but I imagine the issues would be similar. The USB interfaces seem fine for just playing through the computer (to try amp sims, practice or just mess around) but to record I finally went with a firewire interface (I'm using a Presonus Firebox) and haven't had a bit of trouble with my recording software since I started using it.

If your USB audio device freezes during recording/playback it usually has to do with low system resources (memory, hard drive space/speed).

To record on computer, it is best to have the lowest latency and highest resources possible. That means lots of RAM memory (max it out) and the fastest audio interface and hard drive you can get. The USB part of the equation is a bottle neck. I used to record with an M-Audio Audiophile USB interface on a laptop but as my projects got bigger so did my latency and frequency of dropouts (freezing).

I went to a desktop computer with an M-Audio Delta PCI interface card. The other thing to do is to minimize all of your other computer related loads while you are recording. Turn off your graphic 'features', dump all the stuff that loads into your system tray and basically dump everything the will use your CPU but your audio program.

Archived