Gibson Brands Forums

Any model Firebrand present/past owners?

lowb5str

I see I blinked and missed a bit. There was a Firebrand "The Paul" and ES-339, at least from eBay this past month.

They have dual vol/tone pots, and the pickup selector near the pots, as features in common. I believe the body and neck woods and stains are also commonalities, but that is why I am posting: if you know factually, please reply!

Present and past owners: when did you buy which model? new?

• 1 year later...

I see I blinked and missed a bit. There was a Firebrand "The Paul" and ES-339, at least from eBay this past month.

They have dual vol/tone pots, and the pickup selector near the pots, as features in common. I believe the body and neck woods and stains are also commonalities, but that is why I am posting: if you know factually, please reply!

Present and past owners: when did you buy which model? new?

Firebrand was an appellation characteristic of a dealer network plan that Gibson started but never followed through with back in about 1980. There were going to be three levels of dealer participation; the Professional, the Firebrand and the Sonex. Each guitar model would have three levels and there would be three levels of quality within each level. The Professional level (at the top) would see a Custom, Standard and Deluxe, for example, with the Custom at the top and the Deluxe at the bottom in terms of appointments. Both the Firebrand and the Sonex levels each got the same three sublevels, so that any guitar might have a total of nine different versions. The Firebrand was the middle level, and were so called because they featured a "branded" looking Gibson "burned" into the headstock. Quite a few different models of guitars were built as "Firebrands" in that era.

Firebrand was an appellation characteristic of a dealer network plan that Gibson started but never followed through with back in about 1980. There were going to be three levels of dealer participation; the Professional, the Firebrand and the Sonex. Each guitar model would have three levels and there would be three levels of quality within each level. The Professional level (at the top) would see a Custom, Standard and Deluxe, for example, with the Custom at the top and the Deluxe at the bottom in terms of appointments. Both the Firebrand and the Sonex levels each got the same three sublevels, so that any guitar might have a total of nine different versions. The Firebrand was the middle level, and were so called because they featured a "branded" looking Gibson "burned" into the headstock. Quite a few different models of guitars were built as "Firebrands" in that era.

Thank you! Not being ever in the retail channel, or related to anyone there, I would not have seen that. It makes plenty of sense in a marketing framework.

Archived