Gibson Brands Forums

SACDUBRO: '64 J-45 Inspection

Buc McMaster

Per your request, I made it over to Fuller's to check out the '64 J-45 ADJ Reissue you asked about.

It's finished in faded red cherry sunburst but it looks like the Les Paul finish they call amber burst to my eye. It's well done and looks good though I am a fan of the darker Gibson bursts. The fingerboard and bridge are highly figured, possibly Madi, not likely Braz but definitely not Indian. They didn't know for sure. There are two small, circular-shaped depressions at either end of the bridge. Looks to me to be the marks of clamps, but they didn't know that for sure either. There are three dark "knots" (for lack of a better word) on the upper edge of the fingerboard, wrapping the edge, the first at the 9th fret. Though they are smooth they look funny, falling right on the edge like they do. The top is well-grained, medium tight, and it widens at the outer sides. Neck is nice to my hand, a fat C in Fender lingo. The 3-on-a-plate plastic-buttoned machines look good and function well. Neck set is very good, strings a bit high in the nut and lots of room for action adjustment.

I had Gary play it for me, as I am a lefty and can't do much with those upside down guitars that seem to be everywhere! Sound is very good. Punchy and loud, thumping low notes and strong in the mids. The highs are jangly but not overly so and blend well. I had him play another 45 they had there, a Fuller exclusive tri-burst (think CBS-era Stratocaster). I did not have the adjustable bridge. I much preferred the tone of the '64........it had that Gibson honk in spades.

Overall it's a nice piece with a few cosmetic issues that may not be issues for you at all. Would I buy it for myself if I were hunting a 45? No. Never have liked the ADJ bridge and there are other 45s hanging in there I would much prefer. But it's not me that's shopping. If you're truly interested, have them shoot you some photos of the fingerboard knots and glare some light on the bridge for a look at those circular marks so you can see them. Besides the cosmetics it is a good little Gibson.

Buc,

Thanks for the follow-up and review on this model. I've been wanting an unbiased depiction of the guitar they have in stock. Another forum member here has one of these and gave a similar opinion. I'll have to contact them next week to about getting a few photos. Thanks again!

Archived