Gibson Brands Forums

Need help identifying

kjohnson50501

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This looks more like a Dobro from the 1930s. Gibson has only owned the Dobro name the last few years.

Since you can post pictures, post one of the head stock (top of the guitar where the name logo would be, where the strings attach)

Terry

Possibly a Regal-made Dobro 1933-39. Compare with this Model 27: 1935 Regal Model 27 (link fixed)

Key identifying features are the coverplate screws closest to the fretboard positioned at 11:30 and 12:30, rather than one positioned at 12:00 o'clock, the lack of holes between the two screened holes, and the routed (rather than saw-cut) slots in the peghead.

No serial number on the top of the headstock? Is there a patent number anywhere on it?

- Kilgore

Yes it looks like a model 27 Regal built with the Dobro label. The binding on the fingerboad (white plastic border) is unusual. I assume there is no white binding on the back?

The link that Trout provided shows a very nice condition Regal built and labeled model 27 for 1159.

The price on your guitar is going to depend on condtion of the neck, and the cone. The cone is the silver speaker like part visiable through the outer cover plate. Another question will be regarding the sound well. This is an internal part of the guitar that is not visible until one of the small silver screen holes (there are two) is taken out to give visual access to the inside of the guitar. The guitar linked to has a sound well, but I would not assume that this guitar does. Buyers will want to know for sure.

I live in Illinois, where in Iowa are you? I'm in Galesburg about 50 miles east of Burlington.

The market for most vintage guitars is soft as you probably would guess. Dobros are speciality instruments with less demand. This guitar if it has a sound well and good original cone can be a great sounding Dobro.

Does it have a case? Is it a hard case or more like a cardboard case?

If you aren't too far away I may be interested in looking at the guitar if it is for sale.

Thanks, Terry

Archived