Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar setup, acceptable string buzz ....opinion.

Blackie

I get free setups on a RP SG I got new at my local music store...........I ordered this guitar so I had to wait

for it to ship from Gibson........so I never had it setup........I just rushed home with it.

But when I got my Standard I could let that SG go into the shop as I had a backup now.

I set the guitar up myself ....or at least did the truss rod and action adjustments with bridge height.

I like a guitar with zero fret buzz as played acoustically with your ear near or on the neck.

So when I check out the job that was done by the tech...........it has some buzz......enough to just come through

the amp on the clean channel......so that is about average for most guitars with the lowest action

I picked up my Standard to A/B the tolerances....cause I set the Standard up and it is sweet...with low action

and zero buzz.....a hint of neck relief and a smidge higher on the upper frets action wise ....

So the Raw Power came on line with no buzz by jacking the bridge up .......and it is higher than it needs be....

so back to tweak the truss rod to even everything out...........

The tech also took it upon himself to flip the neck pickup so it is how it came stock ....where as I had it that

way on purpose..........I mean what does the guy think...oh this pickup is turned the wrong way it must have

come from the factory this way and the owner has no idea............I will fix it for him............

Reason I flipped the pickup was to be able to use the pole pieces to get as close to the strings within tolerance.

I will get an angled mount.........also the action you see is how high it had to go to stop the buzz

Guitaretc033.jpg

Here is another thing, I like the strings not to hit the back of the bridge......I will raise that a bit.

I brought it in top wrapped with the stop bar down like he left it.......

Guitaretc034.jpg

Cat says good thing I did'nt pay the $70 they would charge you for your other Gee-tars......eeyoww

Guitaretc013.jpg

In the photo the strings look way high... And looks like you got the stop bar batted down as far as it can go against the body. The string aren't supposed to touch the back of the bridge although many people have it like that too... I would try to get the action lower. Like you said a truss rod adjustment my help you out there....

BTW... Is your cat named Blackie too?

I raised the action myself to no buzz level after the setup...........the stopbar came back like that............

Here is how I have set my Standard and how it should be................

Guitaretc036.jpg

and overall while not as low as it could be ....... this setup is ok....with zero buzz

Guitaretc038.jpg

Well I am hoping the frets are ok ........maybe check that myself...oh and I told him to do something about the edge of the frets and they are still to

saw tooth feeling................ah I'll get some sand paper out.............

Well I am hoping the frets are ok ........maybe check that myself...oh and I told him to do something about the edge of the frets and they are still to

saw tooth feeling................ah I'll get some sand paper out.............

A brand new gibson with bad frets ? If that's true I would be so pissed off...

Ususally fret work isn't considered until after about 500 hours of playing time... And that goes for the el -cheapo epiphones that persons like to bad mouth as being crap...

It certainly seems like you know a lot about guitars and guitar setup.. But if you have never leveled frets or don't know much about doing that.... I beg you not to try it...

A brand new gibson with bad frets ? If that's true I would be so pissed off...

Ususally fret work isn't considered until after about 500 hours of playing time... And that goes for the el -cheapo epiphones that persons like to bad mouth as being crap...

It certainly seems like you know a lot about guitars and guitar setup.. But if you have never leveled frets or don't know much about doing that.... I beg you not to try it...

OH i think they are level .....I am just talking about the very edges could be less jagged...

and smoothed out a little...say like the nibs angle off on a bound neck....

Archived