Gibson Brands Forums

Ray Price+Hummingbird=Western Classic

Rambler

I do Kris Kristofferson's "For the Good Times", but it always comes out more like Ray Price than Kris when I do it, LOL!

Ray is always lurking just below the surface of consciousness when that song comes up in my mind, even though Kris wrote it.

It's like trying to do "Bobby McGee" without thinking of Janis Joplin. Yeah, Kris wrote it but...

Love the Hummingbird! I should get one to go next to the Dove...

Cheers!

Rick...[biggrin]

Saw Mr. Price in concert about 6 months ago. If I recall correctly, he is in his late 80's. Although he appeared quite frail, his voice was just about as good as it's ever been. It was stunning. I'd read a recent interview with him and he said he would continue to tour only as long as he could maintain good control of his vibrato. As an aside, he sat at a table after the show, and signed anything anyone wanted him to sign. I think he was there til about midnight, and spent a little time with everyone that came up and wanted an autograph. This after singing for a couple of hours. A true class act, and a national treasure. If you get the chance to see him, don't hesitate. He's one of a kind.

Dwight

Thanks for that, dwolf. I picked up on Ray when he and Willie Nelson did that San Antonio Rose LP--a good one. From there, picked up his own stuff. Heartaches by the Number, Crazy Arms and City Lights, to name three, are essential country. Last year or so he was out with Willie and Hag on the last of the Breed show. J

Archived