Gibson Brands Forums

Dating old archtop L-47

moso

What i have found out so far, i have a early 50' Gibson L-47, but i'm not shure.

The label, if there ever was one, is gone.

It has the late style logo, and block innlays.

I bought it from the son of the original owner who said he's father bought in the

early 50's

Is there any way i can fiend out witch year and model it is for shure?

[smile]

The first years i had the guitar, i tought it was a L-50, but i took the guitar to Gibson dealer(old Martins and old Gibsons) he said he was

not shure, but probably not a L-50, but it could be a L-47, in fact he had a L-50 and a ES-125 in the shop at the time i was there. As this

is 15years ago, i can't remember the difference, but mine was far from a clone of the L50 he had in the store...?(that was a early 50')

Wow, thats beauty. It is an L-50, easily identifiable due to the trapazoid inlays (added to the model in '52 or so). The L-50 was the only economy "L" series guitar to have the trapazoids. This guitar is typical of the last issue of the L-50 from the mid-fifties through about 1966, due to the peghead logo and shorter pickguard (As pictured, the pickguard is short of the rim of the guitar), and figerboard inlays.

Without a impressed serial number on the back of the headstock, it would have been made prior to 1961. Check very carefully through the f-holes for an ink stamped "Factory Order Number" on the inside back of the body. A small flashlight and telescopic mirror will help in this search. This guitar would not have had a paper label.

the FON's were very straight forward from 52-61. They had a letter prefix, in reverse order starting with "Z" in 1952, "Y" in '53, "X" in '54, etc, ending in "Q" for 1961.

Without any FON or SN and from the pictures, you have a mid-to-late 50's L-50. Unless you find an FON inside the guitar, I don't know that it can be narrowed down any further.

PS: I just saw ksdaddys post of "no later than 1955. I would have to disagree for the reasons mentioned above and say "no earlier than 1955", because of the shorter pickguard and "modern" peghead logo.

Archived