Gibson Brands Forums

Changing the treble tone pot on a 2005 ES-335 dot reissue

jalexquijano

How can I safely manage to change the treble tone pot on a 2005 ES-335 reissue without taking all the wiring and pots out of the guitar through the F holes? I only need to change that pot, both the volume pots and the neck tone pot are perfect. In the other hand, the treble tone pot scratches a little bit when i lower the tone to 3 or 4.

Question 2, if it is really crucial to change, can i swap this pot with a 500k gibson pot replacement for les paul standard?

If it's scatchy sounding you need to spray contact cleaner into the pot and work it back and forth' date=' this is common on all pots and it's due to a build up of carbon on the wiper. No need to change the pot.[/quote']

How can I manage to reach inside the pot cavity and spray?

Make sure you don't get any contact cleaner on the guitar finish. If the pot opening is facing the f hole you can actually reach it with the contact cleaner spray tube. I heated it up with a hair drier and put a gentle bend in it. I was able to reach in far enough to insert it into the pot and spray. No need to remove the pots in this situation. Or just remove the knobs and drop them down into the body and fish them up through the f hole and do it. You can tie fishing line, string, or use tygon tubing slipped over the pot shaft, this will help pull them back up through the holes to install the washers, nuts, and knobs.

Archived