Gibson Brands Forums

TRUE bypass

Hthomas

Correct, the most common form of true bypass is that manufacturers use a 3DPDT switch on pedals.

These switches have 3 rows of pins both ways or 9 pins total. One of these rows is used to hardwire the true bypass.

Still, there is a slight change in impedance everytime you get through a switch but it is so small you could not possibly hear it.

I do not have experience with volume pedals but I do not think there should be an issue.

The best test of whether a buffer is any pedal is coloring your sound is simply to plug directly into your amp and play, leave the same settings then run your pedalboard with all pedals turned off.

If there is a difference that you do not like then it matters if you do not notice anything then it does not matter.

Some pedals act funny with a buffer before them some benefit from it.

In the end it is not the technical aspect of things that matter but rather if you are happy with your tone.

very true man! basically im left with 3 pedals out of the 8 I have that are not true bypass. Ive seen that the mxr pedals that arent true bypass dont affect the tone at all. im just trying to do what I can to improve the tone. thanks so much!

Just a tip:

you can check if any pedal is true bypass or not, by simply doing this test: Remove any power supply from your pedal (battery or cable) and put it in your signal chain. If you can still get your signal through the pedal, then it's true bypass. Buffers need electric current to operate. Non-true bypass pedals, if they break down during a gig or a performance, will not be able to get your signal through. That's for sure a good thing for all those true-bypass pedals out there. [biggrin]

Archived