Gibson Brands Forums

2008 J-45 bridge pins

KIGTO

I did a search and it looks like folks are getting "2A" pins from Colosi. I plan on calling him tomorrow, and ordering pins and a saddle. I took one of the pins out last night, and it has almost no taper, and are slightly larger than 13/64". Any advice on what I should get would be appreciated. The plastic pins in there are pretty sloppy fitting.

I can relate to your questions. I went through all that researching and stuff before. I have a 2008 J45 MC (mahogany). I can tell you that bone pin size 2A from Colisi dropped right in and fit perfect with zero modifications to the pin shank. He makes a quality product as many here will attest to.

As for the tapering issue? I wrote Gibson back in May of last year and here is part of the response I got from Gibson.

"...... 3 or 5 degree pins would work. The difference being that we do not taper the holes that our pins go into. Best regards,

Vincent Wynne

Gibson customer service

service@gibson"

Good luck on your quest for pins. But be aware too, that pins should not fit really tight in those holes, it sounds weird but they should not be what is holding your strings inside. They are simply pushing the string ball against the inside bridge plate and that is what should be taking the burden of the tension. I learned that here from some wise people that I am sure will chime in ( because I used the term "wise").:-

I did a search and it looks like folks are getting "2A" pins from Colosi. I plan on calling him tomorrow' date=' and ordering pins and a saddle. I took one of the pins out last night, and it has almost no taper, and are slightly larger than 13/64". Any advice on what I should get would be appreciated. The plastic pins in there are pretty sloppy fitting. [/quote']

Just give MR. Colosi, a call, he is very helpful.

According to Bob C., Gibson pins sizes are very inconsistent, even within the same model--like J-45s. I wound up measuring (remembered I inherited some measuing tools), and the 2As seem to be the right size. They're on their way, and I'm also getting a saddle. Thanks for the advice.

Archived