Gibson Brands Forums

Any Opinions on Gibson Tenor Guitar?

Hoyt

I want to get a really nice sounding/playing tenor guitar. Looks a distant third criteria.

Had planned on getting a Martin O18-T from the 1950-70s. I had a 1930s O18T, but it was headed for a neck reset and a few other things that I don't have time (or the patience) to mess with -- so I sold it. Missed it ever since. I really liked the sound of that Martin.

But, I used to like Martin 6-strings until I played a few Gibsons. So, don't think I should overlook them.

Anyway, I've found a great looking 1960s Gibson LG-1T on-line that I'm considering -- but won't be able to see/play it. There are probably other Gibs I should consider.

I will not be able to play any of the ones I'm thinking about because you just don't see them often around here. Would appreciate any comments on Gibson Tenors, or other makes for that matter (Breedlove, Fletcher, Martin, etc.).

Budget roughly $1250 to $2250. I play -- chords, finger and flap pick, and beat on them. Sort of 1960s folk and like some jangle in the sound.

Thanks a whole lot.

I heard an older Harmony Tenor guitar that sounded real good--Don't imagine it would put a big dent in your pocketbook if you found one.

This guy loves tenors--

http://www.vintageinstruments.com/tenors.html

Prices for tenors are reasonable. I keep meaning to get one before someone makes them 'popular' (ala David Rawlings and previously cheap laminated vintage archtops) and prices shoot up. Plus, How can you play Delmore Bros duets with your singing partner without a tenor guitar? [lol]

I heard an older Harmony Tenor guitar that sounded real good--Don't imagine it would put a big dent in your pocketbook if you found one.

This guy loves tenors--

http://www.vintageinstruments.com/tenors.html

Prices for tenors are reasonable. I keep meaning to get one before someone makes them 'popular' (ala David Rawlings and previously cheap laminated vintage archtops) and prices shoot up. Plus' date=' How can you play Delmore Bros duets with your singing partner without a tenor guitar? [biggrin

Those Harmony tenors are great. I had one once that I sold to my little brother who was a professional folk musician. I should get back to his wife to see if she wants to sell it.

Nico Case is a big tenor player. She even has one based on a Gibson SG. Very cool.

Archived