Gibson Brands Forums

New case for LG-0 and tuning question

dawalsh

I just got a very nice Gibson LG-0 2 days ago and need a new hard case for it any recommendation?

Another question' date=' this thing is hard to tune. Would changing tuning machine help at all?

[/quote']

Could you elaborate on what 'hard to tune' means? Is it stiff or does it not stay in tune?

You might recommend a good cleaning. The tuners on my 57 LG-1 with three-on-a-plate Kluson tuners had a lot of junk. Take the tuner off the guitar and soak them in a tupperware basket of Napatha for a day while keeping the tuner buttons (assuming they are plastic) out of the Napatha. Turn the tuner a little halfway through the process to help loosen the junk in them. The Napatha will help dissolve the junk. Afterward, put a couple of drops of a dry lubricant like Tri-Flow. It is available at most bike shops. Make sure you get the dry lube preferably with Teflon. My tuners are much more serviceable now. I would try that before you spend the money on tuners. As long as they turn now and don't slip under string tension, most Kluson tuners can be brought back to life with a good clean and lube.

The tuners on mine were also stiff... I replaced them, though I wonder if cleaning would help. I used trumpet valve oil in a desperate situation once, and it worked, but only lasted through one tuning.

As far as the case goes, any classical guitar case will work.

By the way, I use a TKL case for a classical, at least I think its a classical. Its fits but its not a great fit. I am still looking for some better. A friend on mine has a TKL case that a Seagull Folk guitar came in that he says fits perfect. So, my quest for a better case continues. I am planning to check with Ameritage about a case soon.

Archived