Gibson Brands Forums

Technical Tips for Installing a Bigsby B5

Armchair Bronco

Can you tell me one more thing. Did you mount the Bigsby with or without the 3 felt pads on the bottom of the unit? It's not clear to me whether these pads are just intended to let you test fit the Bigsby without scratching the surface of the guitar or if they're a permanent part of the Bigsby. Seems to me like you'd want string vibrations to pass directly from the rollerbar directly to wood without those felt pad absorbing vibrations.

BTW: I like the B-H Surfers reference in your signature. I always remember that great line about regret: "Well son, it's a funny thing about regret. It's always better to regret something you *have* done than to regret something you *haven't* done."

BTW: I like the B-H Surfers reference in your signature. I always remember that great line about regret: "Well son' date=' it's a funny thing about regret. It's always better to regret something you *have* done than to regret something you *haven't* done."[/quote']

Thanks! That intro is a classic. The Butthole Surfers were some crazy acid eaters, eh? My drummer grew up in DC and saw them at the old 9:30 Club with the original two percussionists lineup. Said he feared for his life at that show.

Here they are.

Noise maker I: SG Special

l_4f1ccf2733f44e3399628dccbc59368c.jpg

Man, I'm really liking your SG Special the more I look at it. Very cool setup with just the right mix of different stuff to set it apart: 2 different pups, 2 types of knobs, the Bigsby, the rounded dome thingy plugs, and the cool color. That sticker also seems to be a perfect fit.

Nice guitar!

Can you tell me one more thing. Did you mount the Bigsby with or without the 3 felt pads on the bottom of the unit?

My tech put the felt tips under it. I have not noticed a tone or sustain difference vs the stop bar.

And the polished down stop bar posts are about 2mm tall.

Man' date=' I'm really liking your SG Special the more I look at it. Very cool setup with just the right mix of different stuff to set it apart: 2 different pups, 2 types of knobs, the Bigsby, the rounded dome thingy plugs, and the cool color. That sticker also seems to be a perfect fit.

Nice guitar![/quote']

Thanks, brother! I always customize my guitars, even if it's just cosmetically. The guitar itself had a lot of its own flavor from the heavier weight to the odd Sunrise Orange finish and brushed steel hardware to the heavier than an SG Standard weight. I just added black speed knobs (because I could not find silver ones), the Bigsby, the 57+ in the bridge, and that Captain America patch.

My tech put the felt tips under it. I have not noticed a tone or sustain difference vs the stop bar.

And the polished down stop bar posts are about 2mm tall.

Cool. How much do you think your tech would change me if I shipped him my stoptail posts for a "2mm Dome Job"? Feel free to PM me with his name...unless you want to advertise his greatness on the interwebz.

My tech is Geoff Benge, www.geoffbengesguitarshop.com , and he is here in Chicago. I'd have to look up the receipt to see what he charged me, but being out in Seattle I am sure you can find a reliable tech. Shipping your guitar half way across the country might not be cost affective.

My tech is Geoff Benge' date=' www.geoffbengesguitarshop.com , and he is here in Chicago. I'd have to look up the receipt to see what he charged me, but being out in Seattle I am sure you can find a reliable tech. Shipping your guitar half way across the country might not be cost affective.

[/quote']

I was only considering shipping out the 2 silver stoptail screws/posts. But if I can track down a lathe, I can do this myself!

Archived