Gibson Brands Forums

Sister's F Hole Gibson

Bullitt05

This worked so well to ID my J-45 that I thought that I would give it a try to ID my Sister's Gibson.

She has had this guitar for over 40 years. She thinks it is a 1927-28 L-5, but I am not sure. There are differences in this guitar to those I have found on the web. She says the stamp is incomplete but is 2?-28

I have some pictures uploaded and shared I will try below hopefully they work. The gallery is "Sis's Gibson" (if there is an easier way to post pics someone let me know).

My Sister's Gibson Pics

Thanks to all you guys monitoring this forum!

-Bullitt05

I'm sorry, but your sister has confused a Gibson L-50 with an L-5. There's about a $5000+ difference in the value of the two guitars. EVERY L-5 ever built has a flower pot inlay on the headstock. An L-5 of the supposed era would also have a reverse tapered headstock. Plus the fact it would have a fingerboard that was pointed at the end, bound f-holes and bound pickguard.

We all wish we had a 5-10K guitar under our beds, but it just ain't so. If she can get any where near $1000 for this guitar she should jump at it, it's worth about $500- $700.

I didn't mean to insult the L5 community by the suggestion this is an L5. L5Larry from your online name you own an L5, and hope you enjoy it as much as my sister has also enjoyed her Gibson (now I know) L50.

Generally speaking my sister is not confused. She maybe ignorant of the nuances of Gibson guitars, and for your instruction and ID I am grateful.

I would also like to thank Goalee for changing the tone of this topic.

-Bullitt05

Archived