Gibson Brands Forums

does anyone knows about J 100 xtra bubinga ?

hugeot

I've got J-100 in bubinga and also own a CJ-165 in maple, which I dearly love. To my ears though, bubinga has a sweet, rosewood-like tone that lends itself better to fingerpicking than maple does. On the other hand, arguably, maple makes each note sound more distinct and generates more volume with less effort. I'm a small guitar kind of guy though - The perfect guitar would be a CJ-165 in rosewood (or bubinga).

That said, tone is totally subjective.

I own that guitar. I'm not much of a finger picker, but I do believe it is good for that. Actually, I would say it's good at about everything, strumming, lead playing, flat picking, etc. Makes a full thick sound. My friends all think it's a great guitar.

thanks

I'm really lost cause the guitar I'll buy will be by internet, without practicing it

either an j 100 xtra bubinga , either a J185 that I would reverse for I'm lefty

or a 12 string left handed j185 cause they have a large neck

I someone want to chose for me..you're welcome

An afterthought -

I almost traded my J-100 XTRA away a couple of weeks ago but - after playing it exclusively for a couple of days - realized that I dearly love the guitar's tone and clarity. While I've never been a fan of jumbo-sized guitars, the truth is that the body size really makes little practical difference in comfort or playability for me.

Buy one!

Archived