Gibson Brands Forums

Purchasing a vintage gibson... help?!?

benfischermusic

I am in the middle of purchasing a 1964?-1967? Gibson Country Western at the local guitar store. I am trying to find out if anyone has more info on these. It has an adjustable bridge and it also has the double pickguard. Did they produce them with double pickguards? I don't have any pictures yet but I should have some today. If anyone has any info about these (value, year, etc) that would be really helpful.

It has a refinished top, but it sounds amazing and looks awesome... (in a beat up way...) They are asking $1600 for the guitar. I am hoping that it will go up in value some, obviously not tons with it being a refinished top. I am just a little concerned about the two pickguards. Does anyone know if that is original on these? Is this a decent deal? I don't mind a beat up guitar, but I don't want a guitar that doesn't even look original.

Buying an old guitar without doing your homework is like playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in the chamber. You need to know what to look for and what a good example should sound like.

The C & W did not come with double pickguard so the second scratch plate was added later.

While Gibson quality remained pretty good up to around '68 or '69 when the bracing started to get pretty heavy, there is still a difference between a '64 and '66. In 1964, the necks were still carved by hand (by some of the best woodworkers on the planet), the finish applied in the old spray booths (the same ones in which the bursts on the late 1950s Lesters were sprayed on and which were later used only for Custom Department guitars), and so on. Beginning in '65, Gibson started using automatic neck machines (which also turned out a thinner neck), a high speed conveyor belt system for finishing, and other stuff.

The double X bracing referred to above did not begin until 1971 so you will be safe there.

By the way, you should get a pretty good discount for the added pickguard and particularly the refinish. That stuff can reduce the value of an instrument by more than 30% so you would want to make sure the asking price reflects that.

Archived