Gibson Brands Forums

Can you identify this Gibson guitar please?!

Olorin

Obviously looks like an SG but with 1 single coil at the neck. Comes with chrome bridge cover and thumb rest (i think!) Has a half an inch thicker body than a standard SG. Definitely looks 60s from hardware (machine heads etc) to me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Gibson

Yes, you're correct. I found my SG book and confirmed it's an SG100, not an SGI. I mix them up easily because there were model changes done in the early 70s that aren't always easy to follow. To add to it, the Melody Makers were jumbled in there too.

A short quote from the book, under a photo of a SG100:

"The 100-250 series was made of maple and bodies were slightly larger in all dimensions than those of preceding SGs""

According to this book, this series of SG was brought out in late 1971. It further states that in late 1972 the single coil was replaced with a small humbucker (I assume they mean in the neck position). Then it goes on to describe the SGI with a small bridge humbucker, introduced in late 1972. You can see how easily they can be mixed up.

And the SGI (or SG-1 maybe) made in the 90s/00s is a whole different guitar of course, basically a stripped down SG with one pickup, conventional routing and all that.

• 4 months later...

Archived