Gibson Brands Forums

50 years ago today

tazzboy

On Saturday, April 16, 1960, at about 11:50 p.m., while on tour in the United Kingdom, 21-year-old Cochran died in a traffic accident in a taxi (a Ford Consul, not, as widely quoted, a London Hackney carriage) traveling through Chippenham, Wiltshire, on the A4. The taxi crashed into a lamp post on Rowden Hill, where a plaque now commemorates the event (no other car was involved). Cochran was thrown through the windscreen, suffered severe head injuries, and was taken to St. Martin's Hospital, Bath, but died at 4:10 p.m. the following day.[3] Songwriter Sharon Sheeley and singer Gene Vincent survived the crash, Vincent sustaining injuries that would shorten his career and affected him for the rest of his life.

The taxi driver, George Martin, was convicted of dangerous driving, fined £50, disqualified from driving for 15 years, and sent to prison for six months.[4]

The car and other items from the crash were impounded at the local police station until a coroners' inquest could be held. At that time, David Harman, later known as Dave Dee of the band Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich, was a police cadet at the station. He taught himself to play guitar on Cochran's impounded Gretsch.[5] Coincidentally, earlier in the tour, the same guitar had been carried to the car for Cochran by a young fan called Mark Feld,[citation needed] later to become famous as Marc Bolan of T.Rex and who, in a further coincidence, was also killed while a passenger in a single-car automobile accident.

Eddie Cochran is interred in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Cypress, California.[6] A posthumous album, My Way, was released in 1964.

I didn't know that Gene Vincent was in the same car!?! I saw a video of Gene Vincent rocking out with a broken/damaged leg, he walked up to the mike on crutches and then dropped the crutches and went wild.

I remember it... and Dennis, I forgot how young you are. <chortle>

Anyway, anybody listening to the song on the vid might think, 'Gee, that's just old fashioned junque.' But in its day, it was pretty hot, and expressed some of the feelings of teens of the time rather well.

m

I remember it... and Dennis' date=' I forgot how young you are. <chortle>

Anyway, anybody listening to the song on the vid might think, 'Gee, that's just old fashioned junque.' But in its day, it was pretty hot, and expressed some of the feelings of teens of the time rather well.

m

[/quote']

I'm not too young to have forgotten the Crazy John clip you sent me a week ago. [blush] LOL! Sorry about that, Milo, I'll get back to you, I promise. #-o

And every boy I knew in the 5th grade thought Summertime Blues was all about HIM! [cool]

Dennis...

I think every boy in that time period thought the song was about them. <grin>

Hmmmm. You reminded me. I just got some emails with clips from a kid I played music with in the mid 1960s. Gotta listen to 'em! Been too busy the past cupla days.

m

Archived