Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Rosewood?

KIGTO

I bought my lifetime dread--and HD-28--about a year ago. Great guitar--amazing sound. I'm a couch, non-gigging type guy. Last February, I got a new J-45. Another great guitar, and along with the sound, I love the shorter scale. It satifies my mahogany tone, and the HD-28 my RW tone. There's a J-45 RW on EBay, and I saw another for sale recently. How do they sound compared to a Martin? I like the slope, and the shorter scale. Could the J-45 RW take the place of my HD-28? Thanks (I've never seen/played a J-45 RW in real life).

Mine's an '03, bought new, and I'm as much in love with it now as I was when I first heard it. It has the ebony board and bridge. I have never been able to bond with a Martin, have a dealer pretty close and just couldn't pull the trigger.

I gigged pro for 30+ years, but electric, and the J-45 has only done acoustic solo gigs, and a few duo type deals with another acoustic. And thousands of hours at home....... It has played the Bluebird Cafe a few times and busked on Broadway in Nashville once just for kicks.

As for comparing sounds, that's gonna be best left to your ears. They all sound different to me, even when they are identical guitars in the same room.

I prefer the 24.75" scale, it's the same as most of my guitars and what I'm used to.

Best of luck.

Archived