Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement parts for L-50 archtop

R-Squared

I have a 1952 Gibson L-50 archtop from my father that I'd like to get back into playing shape. I know it's not a high-end guitar by any means, but I think it would be cool to play it. There is some damage - the tailpiece is broken and the tuning pegs are so brittle that they are crumbling. In a perfect world I'd replace these with vintage parts, but some basic web-searching leads me to believe this would be an expensive and / or difficult proposition. Any suggestions where I might find such parts?

If vintage parts are out of the question I'm not averse to using aftermarket replacements, but I'd like them to be as appropriate to the model and age as possible. Any suggestions for good, reliable sources of aftermarket replacement parts for archtops?

As an aside, the fact that the pegs are crumbing makes me concerned that perhaps the storage over the past 50+ years has been a bit dry (various closets in Buffalo and Rochester), which may have had a detrimental affect on the body and / or neck. Is there any way to tell, or any easy remedies? As you may be able to tell, I'm a complete newbie to this. Ultimately I plan to take it to a reputable local shop to be repaired and set up, but I'd like to educate myself a bit first. (Any recommendations for a Rochester-area luthier would be welcome also).

Thanks!

Rob

The crumbling tuner button are common. Something in the chemical make up make them get brittle over time. You can order new ones from Elderly Instruments. Get the ones that say "Made in Germany". They are made by Willi Henkes and are great quality. There is even a Youtube video from Willi to show you how to install them. It's really easy.

Thanks for the responses so far. Definitely going to take it to a Luthier, but I wanted to get a sense of what replacement parts were available.

A more refined google search also turn up WD Music, which has an OEM(?) Gibson tailpiece http://www.wdmusic.com/gibson_tailpiece_nickel.html and klusen oval pegs, which I think were also OEM.

Thanks!

Rob

Yes, that would be a good replacement. I looked at Stew-mac while I was there and they had one similar but it was meant for thinner bodied models. I knew a regular depth one was available, I just didn't go digging. I think you vou could probably do better than $33 if you rooted around.

Old tuner buttons rotting have only reared their ugly heads in the past decade or so, at least what I've observed, and thankfully some manufacturers have made replacement buttons available. In the 70s we would have just reamed them out and rammed Grovers in there.

Archived