Gibson Brands Forums

So my Historic Collection SJ200 is now True Vintage!

AndrewG

I was thinking the same thing, Andrew. Could you post some pictures and provide a rundown on the officially stated specs on your guitar (if you still happen to have some documentation or can remember)? I've been thinking this is true of the J-185, as well.

Darrell

I was thinking the same thing' date=' Andrew. Could you post some pictures and provide a rundown on the officially stated specs on your guitar (if you still happen to have some documentation or can remember)? I've been thinking this is true of the J-185, as well.

Darrell[/quote']

As far as I recall the basic construction, including bracing, is identical in both the TV and MC.

I mentioned the bridge and f/board differences. One area where I think the MC scores over the TV is the bridge; the absence of the two pearl bars between the saddle and pins and the consequent shorter distance between the two is indicative of a potentially sharper break angle over the saddle. This would have a greater torsional effect on the top; in theory 'driving' it harder

I'm guessing there are similarities with the J-185. I had a 'Historic Collection' model and the concensus seems to be that at the time (2005) the HC appelation was just marketing and didn't indicate any change in spec. I challenged Gibson on this and all they could come up with was that it had 'historically accurate' appointments...

Yes, I understand the difference between the MC and the TV currently. But I am wondering what were the specs on your Historic collection model? Were they identical (except for trivial differences such as aging toner, pickguard and case) to the current TV?

Thanks,

D.

Archived