Gibson Brands Forums

Just an observation......

onewilyfool

I just changed strings on two little parlor guitars I have and noticed......right out of the gate that this little 120 year old Bruno guitar sounds full and very EVEN across the strings, balanced I guess you would call it. I'm not sure of the correct "guitar" term, but very even. Even with new strings. The other is a 100 year old Washburn, and it is somewhat brighter and louder, BUT the strings are not balanced.....some strings sound "louder" than the others, which creates a little harshness with fresh strings, after a couple of weeks, when the strings get older and dirtier, the sound evens out more and starts sounding sweet. I'm using these Newtone Heritage strings, which are low tension and especially designed for vintage instruments like these so the bridge doesn't get pulled off or the neck warped, etc. The low tension, by the way, makes the guitar VERY easy to play, easy on the hand, for those of you with hand problems, and sound really nice, much brighter than "silk and steel" strings, which have a classical guitar feel and sound to me, especially on the wound strings. By the way, if you have high action and are on the verge of a neck reset, these low tension strings remove a lot of tension on the neck, in effect "lowering" the neck and the action on older guitars where standard strings pull a lot of pounds up on the neck. Just FYI

I'm not sure of the correct "guitar" term[/b], but very eve...

It's called, "I've found the perfect strings for this guitar." write it down, put the empty string package in the case or whatever, but don't forget which strings sound best on 'this' guitar. Most times it's trial and error to get the 'perfect' strings for a particular guitar.

If what you are describing is a difference in quality within the

same package of strings, I can completely understand. About

one out of every 4 packs of new strings I install has one string

that just sounds flat or not a bright as the others. Somtimes

the brightness wears off the others and they become more

balanced.....but not always.

If what you are describing is a difference in quality within the

same package of strings' date=' I can completely understand. About

one out of every 4 packs of new strings I install has one string

that just sounds flat or not a bright as the others. Somtimes

the brightness wears off the others and they become more

balanced.....but not always.[/quote']

You know, I've noticed that, in addition, I have had two sets of Elixir strings have the G string break for no reason....What do you do if a brand new set of strings has a dud string???? Especially with Elixirs which are costly????

You know' date=' I've noticed that, in addition, I have had two sets of Elixir strings have the G string break for no reason....What do you do if a brand new set of strings has a dud string???? Especially with Elixirs which are costly???? [/quote']

Thats when you begin to start your spare string stash. Pull a new G string from a new pack and keep the rest for spares incase you break a string down the road.I just hope its not another G string.

It's kind of hard to prove the string was bad if it breaks upon installation. There are so many things that can cause a perfectly normal string to break that is not the fault of the string manufacturer.

One solution is to have the shop's guit tar tech install them, but by the time you pay him for the service, you're money ahead just buy a whole new package.

"G" strings are more prone to snapping since their cores are the smallest of the 6. My guit tar shop has sold me individual strings, the "G" in particular. However, it wasn't an Elixir that I sought.

This might sound kind of obvious, but you haven't been tuning it too high, have you? My brother replaced strings on his son's guitar (son was 8 at the time) He kept snapping the "G" string. I asked what he was using as a tuning reference. "Piano," he said. Further discussion revealed he was tuning the guit tar exactly 1 octave too high. He did not know that the guit tar is a transposing instrument. End of problem.

Archived