Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 toggle switch problem.

Bluesthang

Hi,

I have a beautifull Gibson ES-175. Love it.

But just last night, my toggle switch started to get hard to switch. The guitar is only 2 years old, so I'm guessing that its not so old that the pickup toggle switch would be worn out somehow.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks

Bluesthang

Try spraying a little "Contact Cleaner/Lubricant" on it. You should be able to get enough to trickle down through the top of the switch to make a difference. These switches are made by Switchcraft, and I have a couple that have been in use for 35 years with no problems except and occasional cleaning.

The cleaning product is available at Radio Shack or other electronics/computer type stores.

Try spraying a little "Contact Cleaner/Lubricant" on it. You should be able to get enough to trickle down through the top of the switch to make a difference. These switches are made by Switchcraft' date=' and I have a couple that have been in use for 35 years with no problems except and occasional cleaning.

The cleaning product is available at Radio Shack or other electronics/computer type stores.

[/quote']

Nice info Larry! [biggrin]

The type of switch used in Gibson guitars is a MECHANICAL switch. It is a lever that moves spring steel contacts. It has at least five moving parts, and the spring steel contacts not only make/break the electrical connection, they also hold the switch lever in position.

Cleaner/lubricant not only allows the switch to mechanically operate smoothly, it also helps to inhibit oxidation and corrosion of the contacts.

Hi, and thanks for all the info.

I bought some contact cleaner.

But seems that I couldnt find Cleaner/Lubricant.

It was either a can of Nexxtech :

http://goshopping.thestar.com/shop/product--catId_1001072__productId_4207__catCrumbIds_1000007-1001097-1001072.html

Or a can of Nexxtech tuner cleaner lubricant:

http://goshopping.thestar.com/shop/product--catId_1001072__productId_3796__catCrumbIds_1000007-1001097-1001072.html

its all they had... the guy at the store told me to use the can of Head cleaner. So I got that one, used it on my toggle swith. Seems to work nice... but I'm not sure it actually lubricates... the switch works fine now, but I can kinda feel that it COULD use a little lube... I just dont want to spray anything that shouldnt be going in there... maybe if it was a 200$ guitar i would try anything... but for an ES-175 Gibson.. issshhh.. if you know what i mean hehe

I'm just wondering if the product I bought is all it needed... just a cleaning.

But my next question is, is does the toggle switch actually NEED lube? do they come out of the shop WITH lube... being a mechanical part?

thanks again for all your help [confused]

the Bleusthang

Lubrication is always good for anything mechanical. An electronics product with lube, such as tuner cleaner (with lube), or contact cleaner (with lube), are chemically formulated such that the cleaning part evaporates away and leaves the lube behind. The lube in these products is specifically designed to be electronically transparent, so as not to affect the electrical connection, but to aid in the mechanical operation. In a nutshell, the cleaner part cleans the contacts with no affect on the mechanical operation, and the lube aids in the mechanical operation with no affect on the contacts. This type product is bect for moving parts such as switches, relays, solenoids, potentiometers and such.

A product like head cleaner completely evaporates away so not to leave ANY residue.

The Switchcraft spring blade switch such as used in Gibson guitars does not come lubed, nor would require lube under laboratory conditions. But in the natural environment things such as temperature/humidity changes, dust, pollen, dirt, grime, smoke, beer, case fuzz , sanding dust left in the guitar etc, all work to corrode and/or oxidize your guitar parts.

So far, the contact cleaner seems to be ok for now. But it did seem to stick again after a day. Then I sprayed it again and this time it seems to have worked. But I have the feeling it might stick again...

And yes I have thought of contacting Italmelodie, thats where I actually bought my Gibson.

I am trying to avoid bring it in if i can fix the problem myself.

But i guess a phone call would be smart anyway hehe

Thanks again for all your help.

I was happy to find this forum. Very helpfull

Thanks to all.

Archived