Gibson Brands Forums

1964 gibson 12 string

eporter2980

I have an old gibson 12 string I think it needs to have the neck reset but im not sure how do I know if it needs to have the neck reset. The action is also very high and the saddle/bridge wont make the adjustment for it. please I need help!!!

If your action is high and your saddle is low/gone, you basically need a neck reset. Unfortunately for 12 strings there is a lot more tension on the neck because of the extra 6 strings. There are a few things that you can try that might lower the action but eventually the neck will need to be reset and you will have to fix the problems that you made trying to help it! You may be able to shave down the bridge a little but it would have to be fixed when you actually did reset the neck- creating more work. Make sure you have light gauge strings on the guitar. Upload some pics! Good Luck!

Don't shave the bridge. It just messes thing up down the road. If it needs a neck reset (it probably does), you should just do it. If you shave the bridge, you might need to replace the bridge and have the neck reset later to get it right again. Shaving the bridge is a band-aid over a gun shot wound. Just do it right, take it to a good luthier you trust that has experience in doing neck resets, get his/her opinion, and get it done. Don't shave the bridge.

First check for neck bow. It might just need a major truss rod adjustment. If a TRC adjustment, and/or a professional set-up won't help, THEN consider a neck reset.

I've never seen a guitar need a neck reset if the heel of the neck wasn't actually pulling away from the body due to structural failure of the neck/body joint.

A neck reset is not a maintenance or setup adjustment, it is a MAJOR rebuild, and an absolute course of last resort.

Archived