Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Hummingbird

guitarboy100

I have a 1974 red sunburst humming bird which was in really nice condition with all original hardware as far as I can tell. One day I found it lining on the floor with the head stock broken off. It had just slipped off its stand but I am told this is a common weak spot for this model. I had a professional repair done buy gluing and pegging and the repair has held up nice for about 4 years now. You can see the line of the original crack and there was no attempt to blend the finish. But the repair is only visible from the backside of the stock and out of playing's way. Can anyone give me a feel for how this repair may have affected the value of the instrument?

Why is it always me with the bad news. I purposely didn't respond last week in hopes someone else would. But...here's the bad news:

The guitar now has 0 vintage, or collectors, value. Nobody from that market will touch it. It is now a "players" guitar, and even as a "player's" guitar it has lost about 50% value.

As a general rule, any MAJOR guitar repair, or alteration, cuts the value of the instrument in half.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Archived