Gibson Brands Forums

Hi Folks, I'm trying to date an old archtop L48 with a 5 digit serial no.

TazRio22

I'm considering buying an old L48 archtop that a friend of mine want to drill holes in it for pots.It has a Dearmond pickup that I had rewound for him and the controls attach through a hole in the pickguard.It needs the plate and thumscrews that clamp it between the first and second string and the 5th and 6th string,clamping it behind the bridge.

This guitar is stamped in black ink L48 that you can see through the "F" hole,and it has a 5 digit serial number that's stamped on the back of the headstock.It doesn't have a made in USA stamp under the number like the later Gibsons.

This is no Closet Queen.I has a worn and crackled dull Tobacco burst.I dont have any pics yet,but it looks like a plainer version of the L5.I think it has dot inlays on the fretboard,not fancy like Mr.Les Paul's collection of L5's.

Then serial number is 80724,which is a very significant number in my life.I lost my father who was only 48.

The year was 1980 July 24th,so you can see why 80 7 24 is significant to me.

The guitar was bought,probably used,in the early 1960's,so I wouldn't be suprised if it was from around WWII.

Anyone with any info,please don't hesitate to call me at 631-941-4694 or email me at tazriordan@yahoo.com.

Thanks to all who took the time to read this!

Sincerely,

Neal

The serial number could be from 1962. We need pics to help further. The L-48 was made from the late 40s until the 60s sometime. Many of the ones from the 40s and 50s had no serial number at all. The fact that the serial number is stamped or inked on the back of the headstock goes hand-in-hand with the 1962 guess.

According to "The GUitar Dater Project".

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

I plugged in

SN: 80724

model: L48

In the "Vitage Panel" at the bottom of the page I clicked:

"Impressed into back of headstock"

(This means the numbers are 'stamped' with a metal stamp that presses the numbers

into the wood as opposed to being ink stamped)

If all is correct it revealed:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

approximately in: 1962, 1963 or 1964

Archived