Gibson Brands Forums

Empower yourself - prices on field recorders continue to fall

Guth

Hey all,

I really like that fact that more and more recordings (and videos) of people actually playing their guitars have started to appear here on the forum. This is a really great trend in my opinion. On the other hand, a number of folks have posted that they have no way of recording themselves, or at least conveniently recording themselves.

Just yesterday I saw a commercial for Guitar Center on TV advertising a compact handheld Yamaha digital recorder on sale for $79. I took a look at this particular unit, and while it does not have the greatest specs, I'm guessing it would do just fine for creating nice quality sound files for sharing via the web and chronicling your history as a player. It features dual mic's in an x-y configuration for stereo recording and as it allows you to output your recordings as .mp3 files. That's about as plug & play as it can get.

I'm not trying to drum up business for Guitar Center, nor Yamaha, so much as I'm wanting to point out that the price of these handy little devices are really moving downward into amazingly reasonable price levels. So for any of you with the itch to record, keep an eye on the market.

All the best,

Guth

Archived