Gibson Brands Forums

j50? help w/ serial number

flpookie

i almost bought a guitar yesterday but the serial number is only 7 digits: 7305152 and beneath it is stamped LON or L0N . also says it's a j50 and the j50 tag is in the case.

no label inside. but everything looks right & it is in the original case.

i have been all over the internet researching and i am really frustrated.

anybody out there that can help?

i've written to gibson & a couple of other experts but no replies yet.

It's odd that it has seven digits. Look closely! The stamping could be very light. I doubt it has eight, but take a good look again if you would.

The letters underneath could very well be "BGN", which meant "Bargain" and it had enough defects to be sold to an employee of Gibson. Not teribly rare in the 70s actually.

thanks - i looked really close - i had left the store and went back again to see - thought i had missed a number - but it is very clearly stamped 7305152 & LON below - the L is very distinct as is the O or 0 - and the N .

no made in USA stamp and no label but there is a j50 tag in the case.

any other suggestions?? it looked really good - and i couldn't find any problems - just the missing pegs - little scratch here & there and it sounded great. but i am not going to buy unless i can clear up the numbers.

Strange. Can you post a pic of the back of the headstock? I believe you, I'd just like to see it myself. They had a 700000 series in the early 70s but that was six digits. After '77 they went to 8 digits but using that method, (first and fifth digits for the year) that would make yours a '71... and they didn't use that method then.

Odd that it doesn't have Made in USA too.... so post a pic if you can.

Archived