Gibson Brands Forums

What is this guitar?

imnobedhead

That guitar looks like a Gibson LG-0 from the 60's with an added pickup. Some other forum members could tell you more but it might require some better pictures. Those guitars in good condition and original go for around $500 I think. Looks really cool with that added pickup! Here is some more information on them http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson6.html (just search the page for LG-0). All solid mahogany, looks like yours has replaced tuners as well. Cool!

I think Fretplay and watchunglava are right about the pickup taking away some value in the vintage market for this guitar. An original guitar is almost always going to get a higher price than one that has been modified in any way, especially one with knobs on the sound board. However, the LG-0 is probably one of the best candidates to drill holes in, if you were going to do that! The LG-O has a small body, mahogany sound board and ladder bracing. Hardly a recipe for a tone monster. Combined with the fact that these were the cheapest student models you could buy made by Gibson (that also bore the Gibson name on the headstock!) There were and still are a lot out there.

You could make a case that because the LG-0's aren't very resonant they are better candidates for a pickup (less feedback). Anyway, I think it looks cool. It could sound pretty unique! Of course, one man's "crappy tone" could be another man's "holy-grail tone that only this guitar could produce." While I am not in the market for an LG-0, I think this one is pretty cool. I might be the only one, but I think ebay would be a good way to decide that. By the way, i'm not sure if you have heard of the UK band Noah and the Whale but the lead singer plays an LG-0 (sometimes). Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNq_htT8dvM. His is from the 50's, i think, because of the no-belly bridge. Last year their whole trailer was stolen while staying at a hotel in Manchester after a gig. All Charlie Fink's guitars were stolen (including his 1961 Fender Jaguar) except his Gibson LG-0. Maybe because he kept it with him and not in the trailor? Who knows. Anyway, while these guitars don't command an astonishing price by any means they are still cool. Let's see some more pictures when you get a chance!

I was writing that post while you posted the two previous. Wow, $250! That is a great deal! I love the tortoise shell binding on these LG-0's. At that price you could replace the plastic nut for bone and the plastic bridge for rosewood. It would cost some money to do it but everyone that has done it has said it was completely worth it. If you had to do one or the other I would say replace the plastic bridge. What brand are the tuners?

I say you scored at $250. I love Craigslist!

Archived