Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman Aura presets for the SWR deluxe

OlivierC68

Hi there,

I am the lucky owner of a SWR deluxe sunburst EC. In France there are not that many to be found.

As i was spending some time on the fishman aura site, in order to understand better how that works, i arrived on that page

http://www.fishmanaura.com/code/img_list.asp?instID=703

As you can see, there are 6 differents images for this SWR deluxe.

GSW4011PPRO DPA 4011 Near Fishman Prefix Pro

GSWU87PPRO Neumann U87 Near Fishman Prefix Pro

GSWM147PPRO Neumann M147 Near Fishman Prefix Pro

GSW64GPPRO Schoeps CMC64G Near Fishman Prefix Pro

GSWSM576PPRO Shure SM57 Near Fishman Prefix Pro

GSWE47PPRO Soundelux E47 Near Fishman Prefix Pro

So the question is :

what are the 4 images factory installed by Gibson ?

And subsidiary question : can they be changed and how ?

Thanks for those who'll help me answer that questions !

Greetings from Paris, Gibson fans

what are the 4 images factory installed by Gibson ?

Good question!! Customer Service' date=' do your stuff!

And subsidiary question : can they be changed and how ?

My understanding is that they cannot be. Assuming you already have four SWR images installed, there's no reason to ever change them, unless you like one of the two mics that didn't make the final cut much better than the four that did.

-- Bob R

Guest rogerb

Hi OlivierC68 Email: service@gibson.com we can attach the manual for the Fishman Aura Ellipse system and email it to you.

An Aura Ellipse comes with a USB cable and disk to download and change images. I'm pretty sure when you hook up the cable the software on th disk the Aura comes with will "read" the installed images and then you know. You can "change" the ellipse" images because IT can be installed in many different guitars and some like my SJ200 have many images to choose from.

The Aura PRO is the same 'system' but IT is a factory installed unit and mounted on the upper bout. As such IT IS guitar specific and the images can not be changed. It has 4 image positions only. I am still waiting to find out what the factory installed images are on the Aura PRO I had installed in my custom shop J45.

The Aura image 'gallery' lists 4 J45 images and the PRO has 4 images. The thing is I know which of the 4 I like and use it often but I have know idea as to what # 1 is compared to # 4.

The Fishman "site" is less then illuminating as to the "pro" NOT being able to down load images from the gallery..

All this said., I find the Aura system to be FANTASTIC both in the live area and recording at home. The "blending" of the selected image ( images are microphone specific) is a great tool....imo

@RogerB : thanks, I just wrote the email you suggested. As a matter of fact I don't need the manual, I just would like to satisfy my natural curiosity and to know what are the 4 images factory installed.

Thanks to all for your replies and all apologies for my rather poor and rusted written english.

Cheers from Paris

Hello OlivierC68,

The internet page of Aura that you posted about on the forum does not apply exactly to the preamp on your guitar. In 2008 the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe came from the Factory with a Fishman Prefix T preamp, and the internet page explains about images on this system.

In 2009 and 2010 (when your guitar was made) The Gibson Songwriter Deluxe is equipped with the FISHMAN ELLIPSE AURA, which works differently. The pre-loaded images are not adjustable. You can of course modify the output signal with the use of blending with the under-saddle pick-up, and the bass boost switch will also give you more variables.

Dear Friend,

I have the same guitar and I had the same question, I wrote to fishman support and the answer was as follows:

___________________________________________________________________________________

Hello ,

The pickup would not connect to your computer via usb. Unlike the retail version of our product, there is no reason to connect this to your computer for updated images.

I think, first of all, a bit of clarity on what Aura imaging does is in order. Basically, we record a guitar (let's say, for the sake of argument, a D-16) with several different recording microphones and the guitar's Matrix under saddle pickup, all at the same time. Each microphone output is compared to the pickup output using a computer algorithm which is able to identify the difference between the pickup sound and the microphone sound. This difference becomes the image. If you play a D-16 with the Matrix under saddle through an Aura unit with this image loaded, the Aura is able to recreate the sound of the high quality studio microphone, using only the pickup signal. If you plug in a different guitar (say a Yamaha concert guitar) using the D-16 images, the result would not be for your Yamaha to sound like a D-16. It would just sound bad. So, when people put an Ellipse Aura in their guitar, aftermarket, there must be some way for them to look through our images to find the instrument which most closely matches theirs. In a perfect world, we would have the exact model of guitar. Some folks take advantage of our custom shop, and have images created from their specific guitar, creating an exact match. Of course, an exact match is the best possible option.

In the case of a Gibson Aura, installed at the factory, we have already created images from that exact guitar model and Gibson (along with Fishman) has selected the best resultant matches to include on the factory device. The factory Fishman product is then locked with those images. Why? Because there are no better images to be gained. Hooking the product up to the computer to download images can only create worse results, not better. So, the factory installation of your Aura product is already optimized for your guitar, and can't (and shouldn't) be connected to your computer for alternate images.

Best Regards,

Frank Padellaro

Customer Support Manager

Fishman Transducers Inc.

___________________________________________________________________________________

I hope this information had been useful.

On the other hand the Songwriter DLX ST is fantastic I have it since september '09 and It is perfect for the stage and for recording. A lot of people talks very bad of Gibson guitars but this guitar made me a fanboy of Gibson Acoustics. [lol]

Regards from Spain.

Archived