Gibson Brands Forums

SG Jr. MIJ Copy... (Sorta) ? ?

Guest Tech61802

Guest Tech61802

So I just bought this "Project Guitar" from a local guy and I was SHOCKED that I didn't notice exactly what kind of copy this was when I first looked at the pictures online. I knew ( to some degree ) that it was 1960's 1970's Japanese Made probably by Teisco, Guyatone, Tokai, etc etc from the pictures because I have my grandfathers 70's Teisco with almost the exact same finish... SO anyhow I bought it for several reasons...

1. There is just something about these "Cheap" MIJ guitars that brings up fond memories from my youth.

2. The price was right.... It was only $50

3. I run my own "hobby shop" doing guitar and amp repair in my spare time and my clients get a kick out of seeing my "Vintage" guitar collection because a few are old enough to have bought one as a 1st guitar from Sears or somewhere...

4. I wanted to clean this thing up and make it pretty again...

So this is what I can tell you for sure...

Single "Gold Foil" Pick Up in the "Ry Cooder" style

Double Cutaway

Bolt on Neck (Neck Plate is Blank)

There is an A on the headstock but that is a sticker so not positive it's original

I would LOVE to find any more info that will help nail down the "History" of this guitar so if anyone can help I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Here is a pic of the body. I apologize for the cell phone pic but will take better ones if requested...

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/TheShop61802/The%20Projects/SG%20Copy/downsize2.jpg[/img]]Photobucket

Thanks All !!

Guest Tech61802

First of all thank you for the welcoming post. I can see just by browsing some of the other topics in the site I am going to have fun here.

Secondly:

WOW !! Thanks !! How did you get my pic to post like that?

Archived